Breastfeeding
Options

Weaning--WWYD?

I'm thinking about weaning DDs because I have such supply issues and the pumping is getting really old.  If it gives you an idea of my lack of supply, I only pump 2-3 oz total a session...and that's for two babies!  If I had a better supply I'd go for a year, but at this point, it just doesn't seem worth it. I want to wean gradually though, probably ending in another month or so.  In what order would you drop feedings/pumps?  This is our current schedule:

1)  BF when they wake up around 6ish.  DDs are most into this session (they take 3ish oz of formula after BF)

2)  Pump around 10am at work

3)  Pump around 2pm at work

4) BF when we get home around 5ish.  Not as much interest...One DD refuses about 1/2 the time.

5) Pump before bed around 9ish

I do have the flexibility to change my pump times at work.  Thanks for your thoughts! 

2004-Started TTC; Nov 2007-Lap with endo removed; Jan 2008-Ectopic (mtx); April 2008-IVF #1 (bfp, twin girls); March 2011-FET (cp); June 2012-IVF #2 (bfp, singleton, EDD 3-19-12)

***Twin fraternal girls born at 35w6d in 12/2008***

Re: Weaning--WWYD?

• Options

I posted about weaning earlier today.  DD is 7 + months old and my supply has been low for several months.  I tried to increase by drinking more water, eating healthier stuff and pumping more often but even then it's the same - I pump 3 -4 times a day at work and still manage to make about 8-9 ounces total.  I make enough for dd to take about half her feedings in pumped milk.  I would suggest trying to pump every 2 hours for a few days to see if that helps increase your supply - it may be that going about 4 hours in between during the day and then all night without pumping is telling your body that you don't need as much milk?  If you want to wean though I would nurse in the am and then pump 2 or 3 times at work (if you can - I find personally it's easiest for me to pump at work since I have no other distractions - like a baby crawling all over me) and then skip the 5 pm nursing since there isn't as much interest and maybe nurse at their last feeding so you can skip the last pumping session?  GL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"