Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

a little worried

and hoping ya'll can put my mind at rest.

DS is 27 mths old and he has been spending more and more time playing in his room alone.  I don't mind it, actually I enjoy the break from him being under my feet all the time, and I do bring his baby sister up there to play sometimes.  But like if I'm making lunch/dinner or nursing his sister, he'll just head upstairs.  When I get done I go check on him and sometimes he's playing but a lot of the times he's just laying in bed.

You don't think he's sad?  I always feel so bad and ask him if he wants to come downstairs and play with me, but usually he just stays up there.  I feel so bad!  Granted, he just got his first toddler bed and I redid his room, so maybe he's just enjoying his new space... but I still feel like I'm missing something. 

Re: a little worried

• Options
    Aww that does sound sad....has he always been a big independent player? Madison is very big on independent play which is great but I think I would feel sad too if she was doing that.....Have you tried asking him besides just right in the moment?  (sry I have no advice)  Maybe ask if he wants to play a game just you and him or take him out for one on one time?!
  • Options

Hm.  Interesting.  Hopefully he's just enjoying his new space.  Maybe he's an introvert and contemplating the meaning of life.  (Not a bad thing!)  I'm not sure about 'depression' in little ones this age. 

I don't know.  If my child was doing the same, I'd just keep talking.  Asking how she's doing.  If there was anything she felt sad/worried about.  If there was anything that she was scared of.  At this age they are usually forthcoming with such information.  (Not so much 10 years from now.)

Try not to worry!  He's probably 200% fine.  Keep the lines of communication open.

ETA -I agree with the PP.  Offer to spend time with him just the 2 of you.  That might bring him out of that little shell.  

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

He's very independent, used to not be so much to me and his daddy though.  I know we stopped going to playdates regularly because he would never play with the other kids, just go off on his own adventure.  He's gotten better with playing others, but he still likes to do his own thing most of the time. 

More time... man, I'd love it!  And hopefully it will start getting easier.  My 7mth old is super high needs... she screams if I leave to go pee.  *sigh* so it kinda puts speed bumps in mine and DS's playtime.  He's taking a nap now though, I think some one on one time will be nice... hopefully his little sister can not scream and play on the floor or something.

• Options

My DD has recently started putting a pillow/blanket on the livingroom floor and just laying there with a doll while I do things around her. It makes me sad, too, but I think sometimes they just need to be "still" and take in their world. It's relaxing to lay in bed and listen to the a/c!

When my DD got her new toddler bed, she spent a LOT of time in it for fun.

I wouldn't worry too much, but maybe offer him an alternative activity when you're making dinner if you think he's lonely or depressed.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Sorry I can't really relate because my ds is a high needs child!! Wink  Maybe you could try hanging out with him in his room when your lo is napping. See if he wants to play a game or build a fort on his new bed! GL!
    CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

M/C 1/6/10
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"