D.C. Area Babies

Trip without baby...anyone else?

So Labor Day weekend I have to go to a wedding on the West Coast.  Though I love my girlfriend who is getting married (her help/presence at my wedding meant the world  - this is a can't miss event for me), I am totally sad about leaving both my kids (esp the baby - almost 6 months - who I'm still nursing).  It's only three days, yet I know that's going to seem like forever to my DH, who will be at home with both kids. 

I'm going to introduce formula this week, so that DH will have this as a feeding option along with my freezer stash.  And I'm mentally prepared that this might be the beginning of the end of nursing.  I'm lugging the 'ol pump, but how does one pump on an airplane?  ugh.

I'm just looking for reassurances that baby will not forget who I am while I'm gone.  And that the transition to formula will go ok. And that maybe nursing won't be totally shot.  Not to mention poor DH - he'll probably want to check out for a week long nap as soon as I return.  Has anyone else had to take a trip without baby?

Re: Trip without baby...anyone else?

• I'm in the same boat - going out of town Labor Day weekend for the first time without baby. He's staying with my MIL and I know he'll be fine, but I'm already stressing over missing him, the pumping hassle, etc. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I was going to post something similar!

You can def. pump while traveling, bring along extra batteries and pump in the bathroom, yes, even on the plane, it's doable. You might have to pump-n-dump the 1st day's or so supply but you can save the rest, just keep it in the fridge and check it, it's cold enough in the cargo compartment that it won't go bad.

For me, we are taking a trip w/out DD when she'll be 11 mo old and I just want to be reassured that she won't miss us and will still remember us when we come back! I hope I don't go crazy missing her!

• Loading the player...
  • I just spent my first night alone without DS this past weekend. It was just one day and one night but I stressed over it the whole time. Honestly, I think it was harder on me than it was on him which didn't feel great at the time but in the end, we both made it through ok.
  • I went to Italy for 10 days when C was 10m...I missed her but it was wonderful.
  • I can understand how you don't want to leave, but it's definitely not the end of nursing.  I introduced a bottle to DD at one month to get her used to it and have been supplementing with formula since January.  She still prefers nursing over BM bottles or formula bottles.  Don't worry, she won't forget in three days.  Pump (and dump) to keep your supply up.

As for the plane, plane bathrooms skeeve me out.  Maybe I'm wrong (oh well), but I'd try to get a window seat and use a blanket/cover.  And pump in my seat.  (Batteries are okay on planes, right?)   I have the Freestyle so it's really small, and the plane engines will drown out the noise.  Maybe your neighbor will be snoozing by that time anyway.  GL!

• I can't remember how old your older one is, but when DH and I went away for our romantic weekend (left the kids with the "good" MIL), it was the toddler that took it the hardest.  You know the baby will survive and not remember you leaving, but I think it's harder for the older child. 

Our DD #1 tends to "act out" while one or both of us is away, even once we return.  It takes a few days for her to get back to normal.  DH has had to go out of town two weeks in a row for work, and DD #1 has been a real pill.  But she really misses her daddy, so I'm trying to remain patient.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • If your freezer stash isn't that huge, I remember reading an article about a woman soldier stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan who mailed her milk home. If she could do that from there, it must be possible from CA! I think there was a special way she had to package it, maybe dry ice?

I'll see if I can find the article, even if you don't mail it, it might help you feel better about taking the trip, since imagining how hard it must have been for that mom inspired me.

• Just getting back after work stuff - I couldn't find the article after a quick search - it was posted here, so maybe someone here has it.

• yeah - I remember reading about the woman soldier who was pumping.  That's amazing.

One good thing about having to pump and dump...I don't have to stick to the one glass of wine rule.  In fact I'll require more than one glass of wine, as I have to give a toast.

Thanks everyone!

• I just went to California for a wedding two weeks ago.  It was one of my best friends, I was in it, and like you I would not have missed it for the world.  It was hard to leave my little guy, but so worth it.  I had a great time and it was so nice to not have to worry about him eating, sleeping, etc.  I took my pump with me and pumped as often as I could, but wish I had made myself do it more.  I didn't pump on the plane or at the airport, needless to say, but the time I got to the hotel I had to do it immediately.  My supply has dipped a little and I am working hard to get it back up. 

You can bring the milk home with you on the plane, in a carry-on!  No need to check it or dump it if you don't have to.  When you get to the security check just let them know what it is.  I had brought a small collapsable cooler and filled it with ice right before leaving the hotel.  Right before I got on the plane I dumped the little water that was in it from ice melting and filled it with more ice from a soda machine.  It was perfectly fine when I got back home!

Good luck!

• We went to Vegas a few weeks ago without our son. It was the longest I had been without him, and sure missed him.
    imageimage
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"