D.C. Area Babies

back from vacation pumping woes

I was on vacation the past week and didn't pump at all during that time.  Today I am back at work and my supply seems really low.  Has that happened to anyone else?
imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: back from vacation pumping woes

• I don't mean to sound flame-y but what did you expect to happen? If you don't pump/nurse, your body thinks it no longer needs to produce milk and stops producing. How long were you on vacation? If it was over 2 days, I don't think you'll be able to get your supply back up.
  • My supply has fluctuated as well when I exclusively nurse over the weekend instead of pumping. I'm on a schedule at work, versus on demand at home, but I usually find that my supply reacclimates to my pumping schedule after a day or so at work. Hopefully you'll find the same thing!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm kind of the opposite, after nursing on demand all weekend, my supply goes up on Monday and steadily declines all week. As long as you were nursing the past week, it should go back up.  Do the normal drill, drink lots of water, eat oatmeal and continue as normal.  If it doesn't show signs of increasing in a few days, it may be worth contacting a LC. 
  • As long as you were still nursing while on vacation, you should be fine. When I was out of work for longer then a 3 day weekend, it would take my body a few days to get back to regular.
  • imageSofka:
    I don't mean to sound flame-y but what did you expect to happen? If you don't pump/nurse, your body thinks it no longer needs to produce milk and stops producing. How long were you on vacation? If it was over 2 days, I don't think you'll be able to get your supply back up.

I could be wrong, but I think she meant that she nursed instead of pumped...

• imagebh2720:

imageSofka:
    I don't mean to sound flame-y but what did you expect to happen? If you don't pump/nurse, your body thinks it no longer needs to produce milk and stops producing. How long were you on vacation? If it was over 2 days, I don't think you'll be able to get your supply back up.

I could be wrong, but I think she meant that she nursed instead of pumped...

if that's the case, then I'm sorry - my bad! If you still nursed, then maybe you were pumping more than your baby normally nurses? it should go back up as long as your body was still producing milk. Drink lots of water!

• Thanks everyone!  Yep, I nursed exclusively while on vacation (5-6 times a day).  I bet I do pump more than he normally takes in though.  Thanks for the tips!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"