Houston Babies
Options

The Whole Story

I'll see if I can condense this.

On Tuesday morning our daycare provider went to check on Calla who was sleeping in the swing.  She found her colorless and not breathing.  She put her hand on her chest and jiggled a little but got no response.  She applied firm stimulation and Calla took a deep breath in and then continued sleeping.  She then called me completely distraught.  I called DH to have him meet me at her house and we took her straight to the pedi's office.  I admit at first I wasn't too concerned.  I've seen her stop breathing for a few seconds and that's normal.  However, when I showed up to pick her up and saw how upset my daycare provider was, I knew it was more serious.

The pediatrician looked her over and discussed the different tests they could run to check her out.  By that time Calla was her normal, happy self.  Completely unaware of the trouble she caused.  The pedi decided the fastest way to get her assessed would be to admit her over night at the children's hospital.  So DH and I drove directly over there.

The doctors at the hospital did a full examination and called my daycare provider to get her account of the incident.  They did an EKG, which she HATED, and put her on monitors for the rest of the day/night.  They didn't seem too concerned, especially because she looked so healthy, so that was a relief.   

That first night was hard.  We had a 14 month old roommate so I wasn't able to sleep much.  Around 1:00 am, during a time I was actually sleeping, I was woken by the sound of Calla's alarms.  I looked at the machine and it was registering her respiration rate at a 0.  She wasn't breathing.  I immediately reached over and shook her and her respiration rate shot back up.  The nurse came in shortly after to assess her.  After that I wasn't able to sleep at all.  That incident won her a second night in the hospital.

Unfortunately I reacted incorrectly to the apnea episode.  The doctors weren't too pleased.  Apparently I was supposed to turn on the light and the look her over and verify she wasn't breathing and check her color.  I also should have waited for the nurse to come in and assess.  Um, yeah, when a machine tells me my baby isn't breathing I don't want to wait.  But, because I didn't wait and couldn't tell them I saw for sure she was blue and not breathing, they weren't positive it was a true apnea episode or just a monitor malfunction.  In the two days we were there and all the positions I was holding her in she never once had a respiration monitor malfunction.  I doubt it randomly occurred while she was laying there sleeping.  

They decided to have us spend a second night and do a pneumogram.  That consisted of hooking her up to a bajillion monitors, included one directly under her nose, to record her breathing, heartrate, pulse ox, etc. for 14 hours.  She really HATED that.  It was not easy to get her in and out of bed to breast feed her with all those wires hanging off her.  Luckily our roommate had gone home so we were alone that second night and able to sleep.  She did not set off any alarms that night.

The results of the pneumogram were normal.  The doctor said it showed she had periodic breathing, where she stops breathing for a few seconds and then resumes, but that is normal.  They felt the two apnea incidents were isolated.  We were very happy to hear that she was okay, but I admit I was disappointed they weren't going to send us home with a breathing monitor.  On the way home from the hospital we stopped and bought the angel care monitor for her crib.  I've also ordered the respisense monitor for when she's not in the crib.  

So now we just wait to see if it happens again.  I know how to react to it now and what information the doctor's are looking for.  If it happens again we're going straight back to the e.r. and demanding a home monitor.  I have to say that spending two days in the hospital was eye opening.  There were a lot of very sick kids there and I was grateful that Calla seemed to be the healthiest.  It could have definitely been a lot worse.

Re: The Whole Story

• Options
    Wow! I can't imagine how scary that must have been for you. I'm glad everything seems normal and I really hope that's the last you see of this problem. 
  • Options
    Ugh - how scary!  I'm glad she's okay and I hope there's no repeat of the apnea incidences.  Is it typical that they would happen during sleep?  I'm glad you have the two monitors to give some peace of mind.  I'm really sorry you're going through this and I can only imagine how stressful and scary it must be.  Thank you for posting this update - I've been thinking of you and Calla.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so glad that she's ok, I can't imagine how scary this has been for you and your husband. 
  • Options

That sounds so scary. I'm glad that they feel everything is ok, but I'm with you. I would have wanted a monitor just to be safe. I hope it does not reoccur.

• Options
    Very Scary!  I am glad everything is ok, so far.
  • Options
    goodness!  how scary for all of you!  I hope they end up being isolated and she continues to be okay! 
    ~*~Jenn~*~
  • Options

How scary! I'm glad she's ok.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    How scary.  I'm glad that she is ok.  I'm really surprised that they didn't send you home with a monitor.  We had one for a while because DS was a preemie.
    Kelly, Mom to Noah 8.27.05 (born at 26 weeks)
  • Options

How scary!  I am so sorry you guys had to go through that.  I can't even imagine how terrified you must have been.

I am glad she is fine and you are back home.

Mom to Alex - 8.29.06, Foster - 1.22.09, Emily - 6.24.11 imageimageLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    wow. thanks for filling us in and i am so glad to hear she is ok.
  • Options

imageKKMMex:
    Ugh - how scary!  I'm glad she's okay and I hope there's no repeat of the apnea incidences.  Is it typical that they would happen during sleep?  I'm glad you have the two monitors to give some peace of mind.  I'm really sorry you're going through this and I can only imagine how stressful and scary it must be.  Thank you for posting this update - I've been thinking of you and Calla.

This!  I hope things continue to get better.

• Options
    Glad to hear that you are all home safe and sound.  How scary for you!
    Finley Anne ~ 11.9.2008
    So Tasty, So Yummy
  • Options
    OMG I am so glad she's doing okay!  Honestly...I can't find the right words to type right now, so I'll just leave it at that.  Hugs and prayers to you and your family.
  • Options
    I'm so glad everything worked out okay.  What a scary week you had.  Thinking of you and your family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh my gosh - that sounds terrifying.  I would have reacted the same way you did the first night.  Also hope like pp that this is the last time you have to deal with this!
    "If you can't say something nice, shut the hell up!"
    - Paula Deen to 104.1 KRBE's Producer Eric 9/17/2011
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"