Secondary IF

How long TTC #2 before starting meds/treatments?

It took us 1.5 years after BCP to conceive our son. I only had AF twice in that 1.5 years, probably PCOS, nothing's ever been diagnosed. I finally got pregnant, so I never got into any fertility treatment. Anyway, DS has been weaned for 1 month, and still no AF. I know it can take months to appear, but knowing my history of never having AF regularly for my whole life, who knows when it will be.

DH is not really supportive of any kind of fertility intervention, but I think if I could just get my period, I'd probably get pg pretty quickly, because last time technically it happened on my second cycle...that cycle just took over a year to show up.

Do you think it is too soon to look into some kind of meds? Should I wait a few more months? What do you think they would prescribe?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: How long TTC #2 before starting meds/treatments?

• We started treatment soon, but we had known there were problems. I would give it some more time to get AF, but certainly call your Dr. if you are concerned!
  • We also started treatment right away because we knew we had problems as well..
    Our Girls
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    AquinnahDori
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
  • Loading the player...
  • I went off BCP in Aug 2006 and did not get a period until Aug 2007 when I finally got a 10 day prescription of provera and was dx with PCOS.  We began metformin right after and were pg with DS #1 in Sept.  With this baby we decided not to prevent after DS bc the chances were so unlikely of us getting pg on our own.  I got a period after 9 months to my shock and then had 3 out of 4 after that but no pg and no O from what I could tell on my charts so we called OB after DS's bday and began Met that month.  We were pg the 2nd cycle back on met (same as last time).  

If you just weaned I might wait a month or more but not necessarily if you know something is wrong.  You could try charting if you do decide to wait to see if you even O if you finally do get AF.  I did not want to wait thoug since I knew I needed met to get pg and we want our kids close in age so there was no reason to wait longer than the year of unprotected BDing we'd already been doing.   

• AF can be pretty unpredictible post weaning.  Whow knows when it will show.  My OB always said to wait 50-60 days before calling if AF didn't show but that was in a 'normal' cycle.  Call your OB and find out how long he thinks you should give it before going in.

If AF doesn't show then make the appointment.  They will draw blood and test for progesterone to see if you have O'ed.  If not they can give you provera to bring AF on and then you can take it from there.  There are many ladies, myself included who have gone cycle to cycle with a provera induced period.

You clearly have an issue there.  No AF means something isn't working right even if you did manage to get pg before.  I would say before you start thinking about meds, try to figure out what it is that is actually wrong.  There are numerous tests they can and probably will run on you to find out.  It can be a process but it's worth it. 

There are many long term issues you could run into with something like PCOS that it's worth it to you for your own health to be properly diagnosed. IF is just a symptom of a larger issue when it comes to PCOS.  Who knows, it may not even be PCOS and it's something else. 

Once you have that dx then you and your OB can work out a treatment plan with regards to the meds. 

Good luck!

• Your OBGYN can give you meds to get your period going again.  I'd start there.

• I appreciate everyone's replies so much! You ladies are so knowledgeable!
  • I have regular-ish cycles, but it took 18 months for #1.  Because of that I was able to get into my dr. at 7 months this time.  She prescribed clomid (even though it didn't work for me last time)
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"