TTC after 35
Options

Quitting BCP on Monday

Hi. I've posted once before, but not much has happened since then. My Pre- Conception Counseling appt. is this week. But before that, I'll be quitting the BCP (LoEstrin FE). I've been on BCP since I was 15 and I have endometriosis.

So, I'm curious about what happens. Well, I'm actually nervous really. :P  Can anyone share their experiences? Did you have moodiness? How was your period the first month after you quit?

I looked through a couple of pages of posts and didn't find this mentioned anywhere. Hopefully it hasn't been asked 100 times. Sorry if so!

Thanks so much in advance! :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Quitting BCP on Monday

• Options

I went off BCP in October & didn't get my first period till March....  I had been on them since I was 21.  It might take a while to get your cycles back to "normal"

Good Luck!

• Options

Thanks for the reply. Did you start TTC right away? If not, did you take preg tests every month to ensure that you weren't pregnant?

Thanks again!

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I was on bcp for 17 years, most of the time on loestrin.  My periods returned to normal right away.  My dr. told me they would probably be the same as they were before going on the pill and she was right.  As soon as I went off the pill, my short cycles and bad cramps returned. 

Good luck!!

• Options
    Oh goody. Confused  Haha.   Thanks much!
  • Options
    We did TTC right after....  Did test in Nov & Dec, of course BFN... Went to the GYN in Dec, she told me I was in early menopause.  But, I had read online (here) that some people take 6 to 12 months to regulate after going off.  So, I never gave up hope....  Got my period back in march.  Started charting in Jan.  (You can see my cycles in my siggy)  Went to an RE last month and started clomid.... BFN this cycle, but I'm hopeful for this next cycle.  RE said I had something like Intermittant Ovarian Failure back in Oct - Apr.
  • Options
    Shyntrue-  Thanks so much for sharing your story. Good luck to you!
  • Options

I was on BCP for 18 years.  I started BCP when I was a kid b/c I had bad periods -- they were long (2 weeks) and hard (I became anemic b/c I was losing so much blood).  So, I was really concerned about getting off BCP.  To my pleasant surprise, my periods were very regular when I got off -- only about 2 days of medium flow, and that was it.  I think I was very lucky.  I was taking Novo Orthum 7/7/7.  My period started the month right after I stopped BCP.  The only issue is acne, and proactiv helped, but now that I am PG, I am looking for another alternative.  I was off BCP for about a year and half before TTC.  I didn't get off BCP specifically for TTC -- I just decided that I didn't want to take medications anymore, so I got off to see what would happen.  Since nothing really bad happened, I just stayed off. I also got off prescription allergy meds, too, and I feel fine.  So, I am currently drug-free, which saves a lot of money.  :) 

Welcome and good luck on TTC!  

• Options

I was on BC for 7 years and my periods went back to normal right away. This is my 3rd cycle off.  The first one was a monster and my cyst pain has returned BUT I found out that it's nothing to worry about from my doctor.  Charting made me see that it coincides with my ovulation.

Absolutely check out fertilityfriend.com.  I was hesitant at first, but I learned a lot and am so much more aware of my body now.

Welcome and Good luck!!!! 

Doing the best at this moment puts you in the best place for the next moment

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

Thanks so much! I'll definitely check out fertilityfriend.com

UTKD - I had cystic acne and was on Accutane in my 20s. I now use Sodium Sulfacetamide face wash. It is a prescription from the derm. I LOVE it. Just some FYI info. :)

Thanks again. I'll just have to wait and see what happens, but I'm excited to start the journey. Smile

• Options

My period came right on time after going on BCP.  I too had been on them for years.  We TTA for the first two months (I went off them before getting married) and then I got PG the first cycle we tried (honeymoon but had a m/c).  If I remember correctly, the doctor recommended not getting pregnant for about two months after going off. 

G/L

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"