D.C. Area Babies

Newbie with cost question

Hello!  I am 13 weeks pregnant and just discovered the bump.  I wanted to introduce myself to everyone :-) 

At this point, I am planning on delivering at Shady Grove and was wondering if anyone knows how much the private Mother-Baby suites cost and if one is worth getting.  It would seem like it's a good idea, but I can't find any info on the website related to cost.

I am also considering Washington Hospital Ctr as a midwife that comes highly recommended to me delivers there.  I haven't much looked into that hospital yet though. 

Thanks!

Christina

Re: Newbie with cost question

• I'm not 100% positive, but I think SHG only has private suites.  I was planning on delivering there and only remember private rooms.  I think they have 40 rooms or so.  I ended up delivering at Holy Cross in Silver Spring and was also in a private room.  I think the only time you don't get a private room is if there is a complete baby explosion and everyone delivers on the same day. 

Do you have insurance?  The cost (minus your out of pocket) should cover everything.

• I do have insurance - but my SIL had insurance and the private room at Sibley cost her about $1000 when she had my nephew.  So I just assumed that there might be some extra cost associated with the "private suite" at Shady Grove.  They look nice!
  • Loading the player...
  • My guess is that the $1000 your SIL paid was the out of pocket the insurance requires you to pay.  That's what I had to pay with CareFirst.  But we got slammed for another $1000 b/c DS was in the NICU in January (born in Dec.) and we also had to pay the out of pocket for 2009 as well as 2008.
  • imagedcbudgetbride:
    I do have insurance - but my SIL had insurance and the private room at Sibley cost her about $1000 when she had my nephew.  So I just assumed that there might be some extra cost associated with the "private suite" at Shady Grove.  They look nice!

If you find you are billed extra for a private room, then just call your insurance & they will call the hospital & straighten it out.

I was billed an extra $400 for my room at INOVA Fairfax, but my insurance (Aetna) called and somehow determined the private rooms were the only rooms available (?) and they removed the $400.

And during the maternity tour, Fairfax was claiming you would be charged an extra $100/night if you requested a private room (that insurance wouldn't cover). Guess I got lucky!

• Shady Grove only has private rooms now so your insurance shouldn't be charged any extra. 
  • Hi!  Congratulations!!  Good to see you!  Are you still working at the same place?  Are you liking your new house?  Email me!  Jenn
  • imagefemmeftle9:

And during the maternity tour, Fairfax was claiming you would be charged an extra $100/night if you requested a private room (that insurance wouldn't cover). Guess I got lucky!

You got lucky. Kaiser will not cover this. I was there 12 nights total for both girls.

• They are your only option so no extra cost. All the Mother/Baby Suites are private with a private bathroom, pull out couch, tv w/dvd player and an extra sink in the room (outside of the bathroom).
  • Sibley is wonderfully unique in that regard, so your SIL's experience was specific to that. I loved my experience at Sibley, but paying $400 for a TINY, falling-apart private room really stank. Other hospitals are much better about that, so you probably won't have an issue at Shady Grove. Regardless, a private room is essential, in my opinion, and was worth the $400.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"