High-Risk Pregnancy

Would OB stop labor at 34 weeks?

I think my water may have sprung a leak - I had a trickle down my leg.  I had some preterm labor when I was 23 weeks, but have been pretty good.  I'm just kinda watching things to see if I trickle again or start having contractions.  If my water did break and I went into labor today, do you think the OB would stop it or would he just let me go?  Just wondering.  Thanks!
Baby #1: 19 cycles, failed IUI, and 1 + IVF 3-5-07
Baby #2: 12 cycles, 1 failed FET, natural miracle but m/c at 9 weeks then another natural miracle that stuck! 9-30-09

TTC #3 - 4 cycles - no BFP yet!

Re: Would OB stop labor at 34 weeks?

• I'm sure they'd try and stop it. 34 is still awful early if you can  hold off abit.
    Kevin & Traci May 11, 2006 Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • I think that they would NOT stop it....my water broke at 33 weeks and they said they wouldn't stop it then.  I also had a friend who had the same thing happen at 32 weeks and they didn't stop her labor either.

Either way, I don't think you should "wait" things out...go get checked out!

• Loading the player...
  • With my son my water broke at 33 weeks but it was a slow leak and they kept me in the hospital for 6 days because I never actually went into labor. They had a peri come see me and they wanted me induced at 34 weeks because they felt any longer would put me and the baby at risk. I would go to get checked right away. I wouldn't wait.
  • My OB said anything after 32 weeks they will NOT stop. If it were just contractions then probably they would stop it, but with your water being broken the risk of Infection is high. The risk to the baby out weigh's the benefits. Call your OB.
  • I've heard that largely, no, they won't stop it at 34 weeks. Yes, the baby would be "near-term" (34-37w), but not a preemie.
  • Even though this is still considered pre-term delivery they probably won't stop it.  My doctor said that they would not stop delivery at 34 weeks.  You may to give your OB a call.

• imageDanielsWife:
    I've heard that largely, no, they won't stop it at 34 weeks. Yes, the baby would be "near-term" (34-37w), but not a preemie.

Sorry, have to disagree here--34 weekers are preemies, late-term preemies for certain, but still premature.  The medical definition of premature is born before 37 weeks.

Anyhow, most 34 week preemies do pretty well.  My DD didn't have any major breathing issues, she just needed some time learn to maintain body temperature and eat.  She had a 10 day NICU stay.  From what I've seen on the preemie board, some 34 weeks get out a little sooner and some later.  Most seem to be in the range of 8-14 days.

If your doctor doesn't stop labor, your baby will most likely be OK.

• imageBrainySmurfette:

imageDanielsWife:
    I've heard that largely, no, they won't stop it at 34 weeks. Yes, the baby would be "near-term" (34-37w), but not a preemie.

Sorry, have to disagree here--34 weekers are preemies, late-term preemies for certain, but still premature.  The medical definition of premature is born before 37 weeks.

Anyhow, most 34 week preemies do pretty well.  My DD didn't have any major breathing issues, she just needed some time learn to maintain body temperature and eat.  She had a 10 day NICU stay.  From what I've seen on the preemie board, some 34 weeks get out a little sooner and some later.  Most seem to be in the range of 8-14 days.

If your doctor doesn't stop labor, your baby will most likely be OK.

I agree...34 weeks is definitely still a preemie.  34 weekers do not leave the hospital with their mamas but don't generally have long NICU stays.  Keep us posted!

• If your water broke, you need to go in ASAP, even if it is a slow leak.  And if you did break your water at 34 weeks, they will deliver you/induce you if you are not in labour.  At 34 weeks the risk of infection is higher than the risks associated with prematurity.  Good luck!
  • imageDanielsWife:

This is incorrect.  Any baby born before 36 weeks is a preemie.  If your baby was born today, there will most likely be nicu time.  My 34 weeker spent 10 days in the nicu.   

I went into labor at 34 weeks.  They didn't stop it, but didn't do anything to progress it either.  When my bp shot up, they started the pitocin. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry, just going by how they explained it to us at the L&D class! Yes, I realize they would be "late term preemie," but not have nearly the amount of issues/interventions as a preemie before 34w. That's all I meant by that!
  • My goal week is 34 weeks and I don't think they would stop me.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"