Blended Families

not thrilled about one of the electives the skids got

the skids are starting 8th grade next week at their new school.

one skid plays sax and the other plays cello, so one of their electives is band and orchestra, respectively, skid1 who plays sax is also taking trumpet lessons on our weekends.

their other elective for the 1st semester is..... guitar. yes, a whole class on guitar. i'm pretty sure that bm is behind this since two years ago she was going to sign up skid1 and herself for guitar lessons. skid2 who has played cello for the past three years.... did the least she could to get by in orchestra last year.  i really don't think they should be taking guitar. i don't think they need two music classes. their other options are art or spanish and the spanish course would possibly count towards high school credit. skid1 has some natural artisic ability and i would also be fine with art as an elective. dh isn't thrilled about it either.. he was hoping they would be taking PE (which they are supposed to be signed up for 2nd semester.) at this point, i don't know if dh should try to talk to bm about it or not. i'm pretty sure she won't listen.. but i don't see the point in them taking this class.

thoughts?

Re: not thrilled about one of the electives the skids got

• I'd say it isn't a big enough deal to worry about it. Eighth grade electives are no biggy. It sounds like the kids are very musically talented, and it should be encouraged. I know that at the college level, the more instruments they know how to play, the better. I know you are looking at it from a stand point that you want to "round them out" in the arts, but guitar isn't a bad idea. Maybe band/orchestra are their stressful music courses and they want an easy one. Not sure. I do know that the guitar class at my school was way tougher than most thought. It'll be a good challenge for them.
  • I think this counts as on one of the "don't sweat the small stuff" things that people get way too hung up on in blended families.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • Loading the player...
  • Meh, I think that acquiring the skills to play several instruments is a wonderful thing.  I really don't think this is a battle to fight.  It's not like the kids are filling their elective period with study hall or something.  They're going to learn something new.  Who knows where learning to play the guitar could take them?
  • I actually think they would get more out of guitar than pe. But I guess I'm basing that on the school I went to. PE was kind of a joke!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I really wouldn't worry too much about it.  Taking a specific elective in 8th grade won't have a great effect on their future.  Who knows - they may decide to do guitar as a 2nd instrument?

PHOTOS REMOVED

• part of my concern is that one of the skids already has a second instrument and the other skid barely practices the instrument she is already playing.

as for pe, dh worries that the kids are too inactive at their mom's house. she is overweight and doesn't like any physical exertion and he worries they will pick up her habits. before they moved, they always played soccer in the fall, but we haven't heard anything about it this year... so that is part of why he would have preferred they were in pe.

i can let it go.. i just don't think it was the best option for them.

• imagesnarkisthenewblack:

part of my concern is that one of the skids already has a second instrument and the other skid barely practices the instrument she is already playing.

Is it possible she does not like the one that she is playing or that either of them thinks they might prefer the guitar?  Not to be a rude snob but cello is not exactly cool so I am thinking they might want to try guitar just for that reason alone.

as for pe, dh worries that the kids are too inactive at their mom's house. she is overweight and doesn't like any physical exertion and he worries they will pick up her habits. before they moved, they always played soccer in the fall, but we haven't heard anything about it this year... so that is part of why he would have preferred they were in pe.

In most schools, PE is not what it used to be.  In my SDs high school she could get a C just for getting dressed and sitting on the side talking to her friends and NEVER participate.  In theory I understand your DHs concerns but PE is not the solution that people think it is, there are many more reasons for obesity in kids today than the downfall of PE, IMHO.

i can let it go.. i just don't think it was the best option for them.

You need to let it go.  Learning a new instrument is not a bad thing and taking PE is not going to suddenly make them want to become active kids...they are into instruments and not sports - is it possible that bothers your DH (not meant as a criticism, when I picture my son in school, I imagine soccer or baseball more than an instrument and my DH plays guitar.)  I agree with the comment to stop sweating the small things that only seem to bother blended families.  My parents never got involved in what electives I took, especially in middle school and unless the kids are saying that their Mom made them and they would rather take PE or a language than I do not think it is worth fighting over.  They will take a language in high school and will have 4 years to explore it there if they want.

Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • imagemom2one:
    I think this counts as on one of the "don't sweat the small stuff" things that people get way too hung up on in blended families.

Exactly this. I can't for the life of me understand why this is an issue at all. Maybe if they are attending/not attending a sex ed class, religion, or something you fundamentally oppose, but because it's an extra music class?

If you worried they aren't getting enough activity, offer to pay for a season of soccer.

Click me, click me!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"