Working Moms
Options

Changing Jobs while Pregnant?

I know this is probably the wrong board... but I figured you all would have better insight on this type of decision. I am having trouble with my current workplace... have been there since January and basically ever since I became pregnant, have slowly started to hate working there. I want to work from home. So firstly, I was wondering where are you ladies working from home through? I have a room in my apartment I can designate for work... I will be working once the father of the baby is home from his job so the child will not interfere with the workday, etc.

Secondly, is it a bad idea to change jobs while pregnant? I mean, I won't need a maternity leave if I am working from home really... or it could be short-lived such as a few weeks or instead of the full 6 weeks my current job offers. I am 20 weeks pregnant... so I will be due at the beginning of January.. so basically I will have 4 months to settle into the job before I give birth... then should be able to hop right back into it depending on what complications I have. As I said, I have the father's support if I can just convince myself that it's a good idea.

Re: Changing Jobs while Pregnant?

• Options
    It never hurts to look, but you've got to be realistic about a) how tremendously many people are unemployed and are competing for jobs, and b) what "working at home" really is.
  • Options

I found a new job when DD was 4m after getting laid off at 9m pregnant.  I am a software engineer and I have the option to work from home a few days a week, and I never do it.  We have DD in daycare full time, and I would never get anything done if I was home with her, even with her father watching her.

Changing jobs while pregnant isn't a bad idea, but I agree with pp.  This economy is tough and I think it is going to be a hard sell for you to work from home when they know you are a new mother.  

• Loading the player...
  • Options

imageRoxyLynn:
    It never hurts to look, but you've got to be realistic about a) how tremendously many people are unemployed and are competing for jobs, and b) what "working at home" really is.

This.  I changed jobs while pregnant (accepted the job before becoming pregnant - 6mo before starting - due to give birth 2-3mo after starting).  It's tricky, but so far working well.  But I accepted the job prior to being pregnant, which is a bit different.

ALSO, you need to be realistic about what "working from home" truly means.  DH works from home.  His company is based in Europe and we live in the US.  He has a "home office" but travels 2-3wks of the month (M-Th or T-F).  His schedule is more flexible than mine and will likely be the one who cares for our kiddo during emergency illnesses, etc, but he cannot watch her AND work at the same time.  This isn't a guy thing (he seriously considers being a SAHD - my salary would permit it) or a travel thing, but a work thing.  When he is working, HE IS WORKING and not able to care for a kid.  Home office means that his workplace happens to be attached to the house and nothing more.  I think some people have a fantasy about WOHPs and SAHPs.  Unless you are running a daycare, I can't think of a good WAHP job that lets you work at a job full time (and make a living wage) and watch your child full time.

• Options

Based on the wording of your post, I'm wondering - in a factual, not a judgmental way - if you are married to the father of your baby.

The reason I ask is because of benefits, like health insurance.  Most companies do not offer health insurance benefits to unmarried couples, and you CAN NOT be without insurance when you're pregnant or post-partum.  Please be sure to keep this in mind while making this decision.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"