Adoption
Options

methadone & adoption

Our agency just called to see if we wanted to be presented to a woman who has been getting prenatal care and has been on methadone for her entire pg.  I said yes, because she has been under a dr's care and as far as we know all development is on target. 

Then I started researching...  I'm still okay with it, but I know there are a few families here that have experience with moms who have used drugs during pg, and withdrawal in the babies.  I'm actually also wondering (and will ask our agency if the woman picks us) if the state can interupt an adoption because they get involved if the baby tests positive for drugs.  I'm assuming not because the baby would be raise by a family who were not responsible for the drugs in the baby's system. 

Would you consider this match?  Why? why not?  Or anyone who has been in a similar situation do you have advice, or questions we should be sure to ask the agency if we are picked?

have a great weekend ladies, I know I will be jumping every time the phone rings!

Re: methadone & adoption

• Options
    I would consider, especially if she's under a doctor's care. I know that the little boy we're adopting had withdrawals from opiates. They used methadone (i believe that's what I read in the file) to wean him off. If she's under the care of the doctor, he may have her on it for her withdrawal symptoms. Its possible that the baby will be born "exposed" instead of "addicted" because there is a difference. I also think that if they know ahead of time that the baby is going to be adopted, that the state won't play a part of it. Mother will be tested as will be baby.
  • Options
    I would definitely be open to pursing the adoption especially since she has been under a doctors care.  Like Fred I think that alcohol exposure carries a lot more long term risks that drug exposure! 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I forgot - with children that are exposed to drugs in utero - they will to be "attracted" to drugs later in life. Meaning, that while any child/teenager will be willing to use drugs, they'll be more "led" to using drugs.
  • Options
    No advice....this is interesting to read.  Thanks for sharing, Fred.
    image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months
  • Options
    I would definitely be open to it.  Our BM used marijuna, smoked, and drank during the early part of her pregnancy and Ben is just fine.  In fact, he's super smart and super healthy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

DD was addicted to heroine among other things. She had to stay in a foster home for drug babies for a month after she spent a month in the hospital having the worst of the withdraws. This was because the state took her from the mother and had to do a quick homestudy for the grandparents. The notes from the hospital are awful telling of themethadone that they had to give DD. She like Fred's D had the shakes and fits.

Fastforward to today and she is a active toddler and has hit all her milestones except fine motor skill which we will focus on when she arrives next month. She is only about 6 months behind so it is not bad. We are prepared to deal with any future problems. DD birthmother had no prenatal care and used all the way until she gave birth.

With prenatal care the baby should be fine. Alcohol scares me much more.

• Options

My DD was exposed in utero to meth and was born showing signs of withdrawal.  Her birth mother smoked, drank some, and didn't have any prenatal care.  My DD didn't come home to us until she was almost 8 months old, but based on what we learned from her medical records, the first few months for her were really tough.  She exhibited the typical signs with a lot of crying, plus being very lethargic and a very low suck reflex so eating was tough for her.

She has always had a short temper and very little patience, she gets irritable very easily, she is behind on gross motor skills and expressive language skills.  These are all manageable behaviors for us and do not concern us all that much since the delays are only minor by a few months.  Her temeprament is a little difficult but we've employed a lot of tools that have helped.  We've also noticed an improvement as she's gotten a little older and can understand what we are telling her.

Looking to the future based on a few studies we expect to continue to deal with her short temper, impulse control, the possibility of learning disabilities, as well as the possibility that she may have a higher than normal affinity for drug use. 

There aren't a lot of long term studies that clearly identify the long term effects of drug exposed in utero.  A lot of the problem is that children who are often exposed remain in the care of the parents/family/friends that continue to use.  Often this is the most damaging.  One time I read that the best remedy for drug exposed children is for them to be placed in a drug free, stable, loving home where many of them go on to live normal healthy lives with minimal to no side effects.

So, yes I would absolutely consider this match.  Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"