Stay at Home Moms
Options

Swine Flu Confession

Confession:I was the first confirmed case of swine flu in PA...I thought it was just a bad cold and made worse back in late April/beginning of May by pregnancy not allowing me to take any meds to get over it.  I was out of work for the week, between my 4th month of pregnancy and swine flu, I headed to the doc (as I needed a note for work) - they tested and said I had it.  I feel like it's being overhyped as worse than it is...that said, I DO think it's nothing to make light of for older people or infants/toddlers.  The worst part about it was the elevated temp - just wanted frozen corn packages on my ankles even.It's a bad cold, but it's no where nearly as bad as pneumonia, or menangitis, etc. My husband never contracted swine flu, nor did anyone else that I was around.  I'd bet it spreads quickly with the kids in school as most germs do.Hoping this is somewhat helpful as the news seems to make it seem like an average healthy person (adult or kid) might die from it.Warmly,Mary 

Re: Swine Flu Confession

• Options

I'm glad you came through it okay. Like you said, the fever is what is scariest for pregnant flu sufferers. My best friend from HS contracted the flu about 10 years ago when she was in her sixth month of pregnancy. Her fever was out of control, and her baby died. Horrible, scary stuff.

Did you ever find out where you picked up the swine flu?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hi from one Philly girl to another!

I've heard the same thing from other swine flu sufferers... we'll take precautions but no vax here.?

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the best wishes - fortunately, I don't know any stories in which people have suffered a miscarriage from the flu or anything - that probably would've worried me quite a bit. 

But my docs weren't too concerned at all. 

From a wedding right after the college kids came back from spring break - not sure it was the buffet, shaking a hand or in the bathroom...

• Options
    How do they test you for the flu?  Is it a swab up the nose?  (Gawd that scares me.)
  • Options
    Glad you are ok- however the CDC is very clear that pregnant women are much more prone to needing to be hospitalized and developing further infection.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options

I also think the media is making a bigger deal of it than they should...and should be ashamed of themselves because it just causes panic.  Thousands of people die from the regular flu every year too, and that hardly gets the same time in the spotlight as this. 

When I was working a couple months ago, one of our tenants wound up getting it, as did one of his three kids.  They're all just fine.  Not saying that you shouldn't get appropriate medical care (especially pregnant women, babies and the elderly)....but it's not like it's an automatic death sentence, the way the media portrays it to be.

None of us here are getting the swine flu vax....or the regular flu vax.  We didn't last year either. 

• Options
    And I forgot to say that I'm glad you and the baby are ok!  :)
  • Options

LOL - thanks so much! :) 

• Options
    Thanks for your post.  My 8th grade DD had 30 kids out of 92 gone from her class today.  Her class is the only one affected so far.  I'm pretty confident that she won't get it because she never gets sick.  Still, when I told the dr.s about it today, they seriously thought about putting me on Tamiflu.  They decided to wait and see what happens.  If DD shows any symptoms, they will do something then,  Your story helps put me at ease.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"