D.C. Area Babies

Baby C's birth story (long, of course)

Hey all,

In case you missed my post on the nest , our baby, Colin Matthew, was born on Sunday, August 23rd. We have been home since Tuesday and things are getting pretty settled.

Anyway, I thought my water broke early, early Sunday morning, just a little gush and not a bed wetting catastrophe (still gross, though). I hadn't had any contractions by the time we went to the hospital at 8 am, so I was fully prepared to be told I had suddenly turned incontinent and do the l&d walk of shame. Luckily for my pride, my water had indeed broken but I was still only 1.5 cm and 80% effaced. So, that pretty much settled the fact that I was getting induced, if you read my post from last week.

I have nothing to compare them to, but can attest that pitocin contractions do indeed suck hard and would not go out of my way to be induced next time. I wasn't even 3 cm and they were unbearable and coming every minute. Being on an i.v. and monitors, I couldn't use half of the coping techniques we'd learned in class (though I'm still really glad we took it). I got the epidural much sooner than I originally wanted, but it was sweet, sweet relief pure and simple. I was pretty comfortable until I started pushing. I only pushed for an hour even though I barely felt a thing - and I really credit prenatal yoga and Kegels for that. 2 small tears, but nothing too cringe worthy.

Colin did come out with the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck not once but twice, but at the time I couldn't quite understand what they meant and thought I had twins or something so I was busy freaking out about that possibility.

Holy Cross was great. Some nurses were more helpful than others, but I'm sure it's like that anywhere.  I felt like I was hit by a tractor trailer the next day, but was still able to walk the halls. I haven't had anything stronger than Tylenol since coming home. Bfing is coming along. We had two rough days where my supply was not meeting his demand, so our ped recommended supplementing a little after each feeding and everyone in the house is much happier for it.

So, there you go.  And just because he's getting cuter by the day, here's another photo:

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Baby C's birth story (long, of course)

• What a cutie!

Congrats!  I too am a big fan of Kegels and thank it for a quick (and also induced) labor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Congrats. He is truly adorable! I felt the same about the epidural in my labor - it is God's gift to women! I hope you enjoy the next few weeks getting to know your LO.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • oh wow--I hope everything was okay with the umbilical cord. He is such a cutie pie though. Good job!

ps- I agree, epidurals are amazing. How our great-great grandmas did it without them, I'll never know.

Congrats again!

• Congratulations on bringing baby C into the world! Hope the family is resting well at home!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Those close together, hard core contractions are what scare me about the idea of induction!  I'm glad you made it through - and I still say that in that one picture you didn't look nearly like you were run over by a tractor!
    imageimageimage
  • Huge congratulations! He is just gorgeous. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats on you baby's birth, he is so cute!
  • That's the cutest picture I've ever seen!  He's adorable.  Very scary about the umbilical cord, but I'm glad everything turned out ok.  Congratulations!!
  • he's a cutie pie! Congrats and thanks for sharing
  • Great job!!  Congratulations!  He really is beautiful.
  • not only will he get cuter by the day but you will love him more and more each day

just a suggestion for BF - if you can (I know it's hard to find the time), add a pumping session during the day or better yet, pump for a few mins after a couple of the nursing sessions, this will tell your body to produce more milk and you should be able to stop supplementing within a few days

• imageSofka:

not only will he get cuter by the day but you will love him more and more each day

just a suggestion for BF - if you can (I know it's hard to find the time), add a pumping session during the day or better yet, pump for a few mins after a couple of the nursing sessions, this will tell your body to produce more milk and you should be able to stop supplementing within a few days

Thanks, I'm going to try that as soon as my pump comes (hopefully tomorrow).  I only had to supplement a total of 1.5 oz yesterday, so we're definitely tapering off. 

The DC Nest. Winers welcome.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Congratulations!  He is one gorgeous baby boy!
  • Congratulations! :-)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Thanks for sharing the story, I love reading them because everyone's experience is so different.  Congratulations again, and that photo is PRECIOUS.  Smile

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Congratulations!

• Congratulations again, Erin!  He is beautiful!
  • he's so amazingly cute! congrats!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"