Working Moms

Slow Cooker question...

So a lot of recipes I've been looking at say to "cook on high for 4 hours". How exactly does this work when you are out of the house from 8-5:30?  Does it just turn to "warm" for the remaining 5 hours after it cooks?? Also - any good crockpot recipes/websites??

Re: Slow Cooker question...

• Sometimes I make it the night before.  So, I will make 2 dinners one night and just reheat the 2nd the next night.  I mostly do this on Sundays or on evenings when DH is around to help out.  I also WAH on Fridays, so some Fridays I throw something in the crock pot around lunchtime.
  • i usually do the slow cook 6-8 hours b/c my pot stays pretty hot even at warm and things get a little overcooked.  i don't usually use recipes but some of our regular crockpot meals includes:

sausage and peppers - i cut up sausage links, peppers, onions, and garlic, throw in a can of crushed tomatoes, and add italian spices

pork - i'll put a pork loin in with bbq sauce for pulled pork sandwiches or instead of bbq sauce i'll sweet potatoes and top the pork with lots of apricot jam and a little soy sauce and garlic

roast - a roast with cut up potatoes, celery, carrots, onions, seasoning and a cup of wine, water or broth

• Loading the player...
  • I usually convert that to low for 6-8 hrs instead and then let it pop over to warm. 

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• I use my crock pot a lot. Generally it's high for 4-5 OR low for 8-10 (depending on the meat).  I tend to use the low setting instead.  I will off this caution...in my experience, I have found white meat (pork and chicken) to cook faster.  In order to keep it from drying out, here's what I do....prep everything in the crockpot the night before and put it in the fridge.  I take it out just before I leave and place it into the base. The base is plugged into a timer and I will set the time to start in about an hour or two.  Yes - I leave the meat sitting there (gasp - and I'm alive to talk about it!!).  This way it will automatically turn on and yet controls it from over cooker.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"