Baby Showers
Options

You will all enjoy this one!

Yesterday I got the chance to discuss planning my BFF's baby shower with her mother.  Not only is the invitation going to request that books be given instead of cards (I think this is a great idea, so I'm not knocking this at ALL), but it will also read the following:

Please bring a box of diapers for our diaper dumpster.

Yes, ladies, that is correct, a BOX.  Trust me, I asked if she meant "pack" (which is bad enough IMO).  Nope, BOX.  Now, I CD, but the last time I went to BJ's a box of pampers was $37.99.  W.T.F?

I'm embarassed to even have my name on the invite.

Re: You will all enjoy this one!

• Options

Yeah I think thats asking a bit much.

For my shower we asked the people bring books instead of cards and I even felt weird about that. 

Maybe if you include that there is a diaper raffle it wouldn't be so bad. You could make a giant gift basket and those that donate a PACK of diaper will be entered. But a whole box?? Thats just way to much. 

• Options
    Wow. That's a bit much. Have you asked your BFF her opinion. If she's up for it, go for it. If not, I would have her help you talk down Mom.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, either she'll get a whole lot of BOXES of diapers and books and nothing else, or you'll find that a lot of people don't read the invite all THAT closely and sipmly bring a small pack of diapers.

As a guest, if I knew "box" was meant, then that would be my gift.  But at the same time- I can FULLY see guests not reading "box" closely or not realizing she really means "box".

In the end- I think it's REALLY rude to ask guests to bring both a book and diapers (box or pack) on top of a gift. 

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• Options
    Personally, I'd be pissed if all I got at my baby shower was a crap load of diapers!! Not to be greedy or ungrateful but that kind of takes the fun out of showers. People have fun shopping around for baby stuff and finding cute things or helpful things for the mom. As does the mom have fun opening all the different gifts people have gotten her. It's very impersonal for everyone to bring a mandated gift, especially one that pricey. The books for a card idea is cute though, I wouldn't have thought of that.
    Miscarriage/D&E 10w6d 10/3/14 (baby's heart stopped beating)

Ectopic Pregnancy discovered @ 10 weeks 5/6/14 (Lost right tube and ovary)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Miscarriage @ 9 weeks 11/9/08

• Options

Some people don't or wont' spend that much on a shower gift to begin with!! But like one of the posts said people may read it and not really get that it says "box" and may just bring a pack.

Even if I read box, I would bring a pack of diapers along with the gift!!

• Options
    my shower had the book thing too--I loved that.  I do think it's a bit much to ask people to bring a book, a BOX of diapers AND a gift.  That's a lot of $$.  For my shower packs of diapers were incorporated into the centerpieces and I got to take them all home.  I didn't buy any diapers for over 3 months (once DD arrived).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Wow, yeah, rude.  But the dumb thing is that babies grow out of diaper sizes quickly and randomly.  My little one wore newborn for less than a month . . . we never would have been able to get through boxes of that size.  Just seems wasteful.  And I agree, that would be my only gift.
  • Options

A box of diapers is a little excessive. Some people will be offended.

I had a diaper raffle at my shower. It went really well. I got about 35 packages of diapers in different sizes. The made a gigantic gourmet basket  for the big prize (2 bottle of wine, crackers, brie, jellies, cheeses... all kinds of stuff) There were also smaller prizes (partylite votives, bbw lotions, pretty stationary packs etc) Everyone who brought a package got a prize.... the last drawn got the basket. All the guests loved it.

-------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
  • Options
    WOW! My mom is doing the book thing for me but I made her include that gently used or new books were appreciated, so that way people know I'm okay with a nice kids book from the thrift store or a garage sale. But a BOX of diapers??? Are all her moms friends rich or something? That seems really extreme to me, I know I would ignore that portion of an invitation. Also does she realize that people will most likely get her boxes of infant diapers that LO will out grow in a few months and she'll be stuck with hundreds of diapers she can't use?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

a bit much is an understatement.  with a book and tax it comes out to what i pay for a shower gift.

If i was you i would just not buy diapers and just come w/ a gift.  What are they going to do? not let you in?

• Options
    I wouldn't even notice that it said Box and regardless, I wouldn't get any diapers unless it was part of my gift. Same goes for the book. Sorry, but I find "books instead of cards" and packages/boxes of diaper "requests" to be tremendously tacky and I just don't partake.
  • Options
    Very rude.  Asking for the book is one thing- it's a cute tradition to start and you can get children's books for the same price as a card.  Asking for a box of diapers is pushy and useless for the mother unless everyone brings just the right size for as she grows.  I would say something to the planner and your BFF.
  • Options
    That's a lot to ask for. I typically give a $10 pack when I give diapers with a gift.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Does she know how big a box is these days? My mom said boxes of diapers were smaller when I was born- so she could be thinking 'pack' instead.
  • Options

imageladyalmalthea:
    Does she know how big a box is these days? My mom said boxes of diapers were smaller when I was born- so she could be thinking 'pack' instead.

This is what I was thinking.  My mom stores our holiday decorations in boxes that our baby diapers came in.  They are a small square box.  I'd bring this to her attention.  Like someone said, she could end up with a couple of hundred dollars in diapers and not much else.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

have you talked to your bff ? mabey she isent dosent know that her mom wants this on the invite? have the invatations already been written up or is there still time to change what they say?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"