Blended Families

creative punishment

I was reading a post and it made me think of a former coworker whose pre teen/teen daughter would slam doors when she got in trouble so she took the door to her bedroom off the hinges. no privacy LOL... anybody else have any creative ways to punish/discipline a kid?

Re: creative punishment

• My son was having some trouble with his grades - he was finishing his homework but not turning it in......hunh?  Anyway, I grounded him from all things electronic - Ipod, TV, computer, and the stereo in his room.  I took it one step further and made him unhook his stereo system himself and set it up in my room...speakers and all!  I even had him turn it on to make sure everything was hooked up correctly. It was just a little more painful that way.
  • I took the remotes to all the video games in our house after setting that up as the consequence for an hour long battle over something stupid. They are useless without the remotes, but he could sit there and stare at the video box.
  • Loading the player...
  • I typically take things away that they have to 'earn' back.  DS, Playstation, TV time, etc.

ETA:  My boys are older (2nd, 4th, 6th grade) so this works well, especially for longer periods of time

PHOTOS REMOVED

• I agree with taking doors off the hinges, btw. If you choose to slam your door, your lose?privileges?for using said door.

My kids are young, so they are still in the time out stage. If SD is mean to SS, we will make her go help him with something of his choosing (setting up his train set or something), and vice versa (help her clean her room, etc.). They have learned that when they feel the freedom to put-down the other one, comes the humility of helping that person, too.?

• Ooohh...my parents were SO good at this, I can't wait until my kids get older! lol Just some things they did to us...

If sis and I fought, they would sit us at opposite ends of the kitchen table and wouldn't let us up until the OTHER one said we could. The fight would be over in about 30 seconds. This works better for younger ones though.

If you slammed a door, it didnt come off, too much work for mom and dad. Instead they made you stand there and slam the door (or stomp down the hall, whatever it was you did was) x amount of times. You ended up feeling like an IDIOT.

Then with my sis sending her to her room or time out NEVER worked. So they made her write sentences. " I will not hit my sister" x times. And everytime she tried to protest it doubled. She got herself to a few hundred more than once. But she always made sure she didn't write any for quite awhile after those times. The sentences also got wordier (is that a word?) as she got older.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My parents used to take my bedroom door off too and I had to earn it back. When I was smaller, I used to throw rocks, etc... and they would make me carry it around for 2 or 3 days to teach me a lesson. I could only put it down to eat and take a bath.  Anything else, I got spanked or popped in the mouth for talking back.
  • My youngest 2 sd's haven't had a bedroom door for over a year because of slamming it and slamming it INTO eachother.  I actually don't even know what we did with it...hmm curious...might have to go looking for it!

accordingtoabby.com" "From of suffering emerges the strongest souls. The most massive characters are seared with scars." Kahlil Gibran
  • hterry those are all great ideas! I had to write MANY sentances back in my time!
  • imageshortyred919:

If SD is mean to SS, we will make her go help him with something of his choosing (setting up his train set or something), and vice versa (help her clean her room, etc.). They have learned that when they feel the freedom to put-down the other one, comes the humility of helping that person, too. 

OMG this is a great idea! my LO's are still too little for any of this but I will definitely keep it in mind for when they get older.  Love it!!! keep'em coming ladies!

• imagechica1bonita:
    I was reading a post and it made me think of a former coworker whose pre teen/teen daughter would slam doors when she got in trouble so she took the door to her bedroom off the hinges. no privacy LOL... anybody else have any creative ways to punish/discipline a kid?

My parents did this to me when I was a tween/teenager too.  They also took the wheels off my car when I was 16Embarrassed My mom wrote the book on creative punishment!

• Not really punishment, but it did solve a problem.  I got tired of my SD telling me she was bored.  So, next time she said it, I got up with her and had her clean her room while I changed her sheets (about 15 minutes bc she's only 5).  Wow.  Haven't heard her say she was bored again or sighing or acting bored (she will find stuff to do!).  Been waiting for it - I've got all sorts of things that need to be done around the house....  Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"