South Florida Babies
Options

What detergent do you use?

I know the most popular one for babies is the Dreft brand. But I'm sure other "free and clear" detergents do the same job...and let's face it, Dreft isn't exactly cheap.  

So tell me, what do you use and why?? Oh, and if you don't mind sharing, how much do you pay?

Re: What detergent do you use?

• Options

I like ALL free and clear. I use it for everyone's laundry so that everything can go in together. Honestly, I can't remember what I pay. But I picked up 2 giant bottles last time it was on sale at Target and it lasts a long time.

• Options

I used any of the free and clear ones, like Tide.  Mainly, i figured, I was holding abby a lot, and she was on my clothes, wouldn't whatever I washed my clothes iwth rub off on her?  so we switched ALL of our clothes to the free and clear one and she's never had a problem!  I've used ALL free and clear, too... but now we have a front load washer and they don't make HE detergent!  So, we just use Tide...

oh, and the first few weeks, i bought Target baby detergent.  It's way cheaper and is EXACTLY the same formulation as dreft.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We were using Baby All, but then the dermatologist told us to switch to All Free and Clear when she started with her skin problems. I really have no idea how much it costs! I just buy it when it's on sale!
  • Options
    I put a big tub of Tide Free & Clear on my BRU registry. Hopefully it's good!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options

I use Publix Free and Clear on all of our clothes.  When you look at the ingredients, the only one listed is surfactant (which is the detergent.)   It's also highly rated for cloth diapers.  And it's cheap even when not on sale.

Dreft and Tide Free both have enzymes which can be hard on baby's skin.  Andrew got contact eczema when I used Tide Free on vacation.  It was awful.

Dreft also has fragrance. 

I only use Tide Free on my husband's sweaty work clothes.  I figure that's what the enzymes are for! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageTayLynn:

Dreft and Tide Free both have enzymes which can be hard on baby's skin.  Andrew got contact eczema when I used Tide Free on vacation.  It was awful.

::takes Tide Free & Clear off BRU registry::

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageTayLynn:

I use Publix Free and Clear on all of our clothes.  When you look at the ingredients, the only one listed is surfactant (which is the detergent.)   It's also highly rated for cloth diapers.  And it's cheap even when not on sale.

I only use Tide Free on my husband's sweaty work clothes.  I figure that's what the enzymes are for! 

i didn't know about the enzymes!  we've never had a problem with abby's skin, and she's got really sensitive skin, so I'm hoping it stays that way!  i wonder if publix has an HE brand...

• Options
    We use the free and clear but buy the Kirkland brand. I honestly have no idea how much we pay for it. I have to buy HE detergent and I try to buy it at Costco to save some money.
  • Options
    imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:
    imageTayLynn:

::takes Tide Free & Clear off BRU registry::

Not all babies have problems with enzymes.  britishbride's Abby above is an example!  You can always try it if that's the brand you prefer. 

You can make sure that you use a small amount of detergent so it doesn't build up as much.  And doing an extra rinse cycle can help cut down the additives that are left in the clothes but that's not very eco friendly.  ;)

Even grown ups can have trouble with enzymes.  My grandfather breaks out with a rash from Tide Free.

It can be worse if your baby has a leaky diaper overnight.  By the time she wake up from getting wet and cold, the enzymes could be activated from the water and start to eat the baby's skin.  

That's what started Andrew's contact dermatitis when on vacation at 7 months.  I partly blame bad daddy diaper skills.  The rash just kept getting worse after it started from one leaky diaper and spread to his whole body.  I guess once the skin was broken the enzymes kept at it. 

• Options

imagebritishbride05:

i didn't know about the enzymes!  we've never had a problem with abby's skin, and she's got really sensitive skin, so I'm hoping it stays that way!  i wonder if publix has an HE brand...

If you haven't been having trouble then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I have sensitive skin too but Tide Free was all that I used prior to Andrew.  I don't want to do separate loads of laundry so I just use the Publix F&C on all of our clothes now.

Publix does make a HE F&C version if you want to compare it.

• Options
    I use whatever is on sale, preferably Tide. Neither of us or my kids have sensitive skin, so I always wash our clothes together. The only time that I use Dreft, but the Target brand version, was when I first washed all of Max's clothes. After that, I always used what I used for the rest of us.
  • Options
    oh lord i still use dreft. i wash all of his clothes separately still. ::thinks to herself that she might be a little crazy::
  • Options

imageSoontobeSavino:
    I use whatever is on sale, preferably Tide. Neither of us or my kids have sensitive skin, so I always wash our clothes together. The only time that I use Dreft, but the Target brand version, was when I first washed all of Max's clothes. After that, I always used what I used for the rest of us.

Ditto! I washed Riley's first clothes in the target brand version but now we use Tide HE for everyone's clothes

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We used Tide F&C on all of Kendall's clothes before she was born.  Once the bottle was over, we switched to her using ours (Tide) since she never had a reaction from our clothes.
  • Options
    I use All Free and Clear for all of us.  I like the was it smells and I like using a free and clear detergent - even before Alexis was born!!
    image image

• Options
    imagebritishbride05:
    imageTayLynn:

Jenny:  I just bought the Publix b/c I want to switch all our clothes to F&C.  I have front loaders...so the HE is a big pain in the rear.  But Publix F&C does make theirs HE.  And it worked REALLY well.

• Options

imagekvwerne:
    oh lord i still use dreft. i wash all of his clothes separately still. ::thinks to herself that she might be a little crazy::

You are not alone or the only one crazy...lol. I still use it and I prefer to wash their clothes on a separate load so its not big deal for me. I have used All F&C before but will always do their clothes apart from ours....its easy to put away for me that way too.... :) 

• Options
    I use whatever is on sale or is the cheapest and always have. I used one bottle of Dreft when my first was born because I got it as a gift.  But once it ran out I washed all our clothes together with whatever detergent was cheapest.  My kids don't have allergies or sensitive skin so it works for us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"