D.C. Area Babies

Help with daycare...

I have DD in an in home daycare center that I really do like. The teacher is great and DD is really attached to the helper. I have been on the waitlist to get into the daycare center on post (military family). It's a brand new facility and is half of what we pay now. She will still be in the infant room but with the pre-toddlers. The daycare she is in now has 7 kids (makes it easy to pin point who's sick).

I guess I have two questions (the first one probably only I can answer but any help would be nice)...Should I keep her where she is now knowing that we probably won't get into the post daycare in quite some time (and we eventually want her there)? And my second question is how do I tell my current provider if we do want to leave?

She is kind of confrontational (and I use that term very very loosely). She's had her center for 30 years so she is somewhat set in her ways and I've grown to like her but I am also afraid of her reaction...ugh this has become such a rambling post....and I'm pretty sure you are all going to say just suck it up, she is working for you, you need to just say it...any advice? (and congrats for making it this far) :-)

Re: Help with daycare...

• dpdwdpdw member

On your first question: "Should I keep her where she is now knowing that we probably won't get into the post daycare in quite some time (and we eventually want her there)? "  I guess I don't understand.  Where else would you keep her if not where she is now?  You said the base daycare isn't open yet, right?

Your 2nd question -- "And my second question is how do I tell my current provider if we do want to leave? "  My advice is to give her advance notice (at least a month, or whatever it says in your contract) & tell her the truth.  That you really like her, but the price & location of the other daycare can't be beat.

• I have an in-home lady who I would be upset telling her that I was "breaking up" with her (because of how much we like her and how much she does for our family)... so I think I know what you mean.  However, if I had the option of daycare at HALF the cost somewhere else, I think even my lady would understand why the switch.  If you take that angle - "we love you, but this makes sense for us financially" - she has to understand that.  Everyone worries about money.

Just be sure you're comfortable with the switch in a gut-instinct way.  Half the cost may mean nothing if it's not as great as your current lady.

Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
  • Loading the player...
  • dpdw -  the on post daycare is open. we've been on the list since October and the in home daycare was our only option. :-)

I know it's going to be hard to tell her. I think two weeks is her policy and Artslvr, you made a good point on how to tell her. I think she will understand but in the mean time I feel awful about taking away some of her business...

Thank you both for your thoughts

• Would it soften the blow if you offered to serve as a reference?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageDCtoLowcountry:
    Would it soften the blow if you offered to serve as a reference?

Yes it probably would. And I know she has another baby coming into the center in October so she is one child away from being full. I guess that makes it a little easier to leave.

• Good idea re: serving as a reference.  And keep in mind, if she's been doing this for years and years, you are certainly not the first person to leave!  She's done it all before and heard it all before, I'm sure.  Smile
    Wife, Musician, Fed, WW-er, and Mom of three little kids - not necessarily in that order.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"