South Florida Babies
Options

Spanish speakers what do you call shoes?

I know zapatos.  But I have always hears the word "papos" used for kids, it's how I was taught as a baby and what  I'm teaching Alexis also and she has actually said "papo" a few times.  I was thinking about it though and realized that I don't think I've heard it used outside of my family.  So - does anyone else use that word or is it just my crazy family that came up with the word? 
image image

Re: Spanish speakers what do you call shoes?

• Options

We say zapatos.  Cedric often comes out with "patos," which may be where your "papos" came from--a kid mispronouncing!

Tania

• Options

When my son first started talking we taught him "papos" for his shoes since it was easier and that is what all the kids in my family were taught.  Now we are trying to get him to say zapatos.  Yours is not the only crazy family that uses "papos."

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've always heard "zapatos" or "zapaticos" in reference to baby shoes. I hadn't heard the "papos" thing before.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Your family is not crazy.  I grew up calling them Papos too.  My niece and nephew now call shoes papos.  It is a lot easier for kids to pronounce.
    -- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Its used a lot for us as well although we opted for teaching Diego the right way to say it. If he were to listen to Alexis say the word papos he will tell her...No Alexis, papos no, you say Zapatos. We often say it wrong so he can correct us.

Its a cute word and much easier for sure.

We have story (un cuento like we say) that is a little girl that goes to school and her grandpa every morning used to put on her shoes telling her ...Ok lets go put on the papos and so on every morning so one day the little girl gets a spelling test and the grandpa asks, so how did you do? and she answers, I could've gotten 100 but I misspelled a word. Which one? asked the grandpa and she said....Well, is not Papos but instead Se dice Zapatos. A cute story I grow up with. ( really bad translation...lol but hope you get the idea)

• Options
    imagelove4ever2006:

Its used a lot for us as well although we opted for teaching Diego the right way to say it. If he were to listen to Alexis say the word papos he will tell her...No Alexis, papos no, you say Zapatos. We often say it wrong so he can correct us.

Its a cute word and much easier for sure.

We have story (un cuento like we say) that is a little girl that goes to school and her grandpa every morning used to put on her shoes telling her ...Ok lets go put on the papos and so on every morning so one day the little girl gets a spelling test and the grandpa asks, so how did you do? and she answers, I could've gotten 100 but I misspelled a word. Which one? asked the grandpa and she said....Well, is not Papos but instead Se dice Zapatos. A cute story I grow up with. ( really bad translation...lol but hope you get the idea)

Aw, that's cute!

• Options
    I'm a big fan of calling things  by their proper name so I call them zapatos.  I have always heard older people refer to them as "papaticos" when they are talking to a small child.
  • Options
    I never heard papos either. It was zapatos or shoes or chancletas. I have also heard food called "papa" whether its potato or not. LOL. I think its common for a lot of spanish speaking households to do that. I've been pretty strict about teaching Sophie the actual words for things so that there is no confusion no matter who she is talking to.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    But I know a lot of my cousins say papos for shoes, so, no, not that uncommon!!  we always learned the full word, we never learned a baby version... I'm doing the same thing with Abby, I hate when my grandmother says "papos," "cheche," or "wow-wow." 
  • Options

imagebritishbride05:
    But I know a lot of my cousins say papos for shoes, so, no, not that uncommon!!  we always learned the full word, we never learned a baby version... I'm doing the same thing with Abby, I hate when my grandmother says "papos," "cheche," or "wow-wow." 

LOL. My niece still calls ducks, "pio pios". Sophia used to say wow-wow very often but now is all about puppy, dog, or doggy. My friend's little boy calls perros "pedros". LOL. I love it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageMellyMelB:

imagebritishbride05:

LOL. My niece still calls ducks, "pio pios". Sophia used to say wow-wow very often but now is all about puppy, dog, or doggy. My friend's little boy calls perros "pedros". LOL. I love it.

When my niece was little (1.5yrs) she used to call birds "titi"

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Good to know :)

I agree about teaching kids the right way to say things also, for the most part, but there are a couple things - like papos, that I'm ok with.  

I cringe when my FIL calls eggs "eggies".  I don't like wow wow either - it's a puppy or doggie! 

image image

• Options

imagebritishbride05:

awww. i say those things to joshua all the time. I cant help it. im all about the wow wow and cheche! but as he gets older, I will definitely teach him the right words. but for now, its papos, mimi, and nene (for his pacifier). lol.

• Options
    I think the only one we do is wow-wow..lol
  • Options

imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:
    I've always heard "zapatos" or "zapaticos" in reference to baby shoes. I hadn't heard the "papos" thing before.

ditto to this

imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagekvwerne:

imagebritishbride05:

awww. i say those things to joshua all the time. I cant help it. im all about the wow wow and cheche! but as he gets older, I will definitely teach him the right words. but for now, its papos, mimi, and nene (for his pacifier). lol.

i mean, it's cute, don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine myself being like that lol  I'm not the cutesy type :-D  I think it's because my mom was like that, too... the most "cutesy" thing we said was "night-night"!!

• Options
    imagebritishbride05:
    imagekvwerne:

imagebritishbride05:

i mean, it's cute, don't get me wrong, but I can't imagine myself being like that lol  I'm not the cutesy type :-D  I think it's because my mom was like that, too... the most "cutesy" thing we said was "night-night"!!

lol!!!! its my moms fault. she said she baby talked to me and my brother and now does it to my nephews and joshua. its contagious.

• Options

I have heard papos, wow-wow, che-che, a mimir, and probably more.  All I think are the way the babies throughout time have said it and since parents thought it was so cute they repeated it instead of correcting it and that is how it became normal vocabulary. 

I have chosen to teach them the right way of saying those things but its not crazy, I have always heard all of those....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"