Blended Families

If you were hiring a babysitter for your SK

Would you allow BM to meet the babysitter after you've chosen one or would you just mention that you've hired a babysitter and give her the person's name and phone # in case of emergency?

We are thinking of hiring someone to pick SD up from school on the days she's with us until we get the custody schedule straightened out and can put her in the school's aftercare program

Re: If you were hiring a babysitter for your SK

• Hmm I don't think I would call BM and tell her we were going out and give her the sitter's phone number. We don't have a house phone though so the only way for BM to talk to SD when she is with us is to call our cells. Eh even still, I don't think I'd give her the babysitter's number, we live 45 minutes apart so it's not like BM would ever be using our sitter for something. And most likely I'd have my parents watch SD for us before hiring a sitter.
  • imageDREWLILY:
    Hmm I don't think I would call BM and tell her we were going out and give her the sitter's phone number. We don't have a house phone though so the only way for BM to talk to SD when she is with us is to call our cells. Eh even still, I don't think I'd give her the babysitter's number, we live 45 minutes apart so it's not like BM would ever be using our sitter for something. And most likely I'd have my parents watch SD for us before hiring a sitter.

I'm leaning toward this as well.  We don't need a sitter for us to go out.  We need her to pick SD up from school until we get home.

• Loading the player...
  • Well I guess your situation is a little different since she will be picking up SD from school. She'll have to be added to the school's pick up list. I guess maybe for this, I might tell BM, maybe not give her the phone number but at least let her know who will be picking her child up from school.
  • imageDREWLILY:
    Well I guess your situation is a little different since she will be picking up SD from school. She'll have to be added to the school's pick up list. I guess maybe for this, I might tell BM, maybe not give her the phone number but at least let her know who will be picking her child up from school.

Yeah - it won't be all the time, only when my husband can't there on time. 

• For the school pickups, yes, I think you need to.

Just for someone to babysit periodically?  Nope.  It's not like BM tells us any time she leaves SD with someone.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our CO has a provision that the other parent has first option before a babysitter can be called, and if one parent does use a sitter, the other parent must give approval and have a contact number/address.

We did this because BM was using her "flavor of the month" as a free babysitter :P So we never had any idea who was actually watching SD.

All that being said, I don't think BM necessarily needs to meet the person, unless she wants to, but I would make sure she is provided with a contact number.

• imagegosse1km:

Our CO has a provision that the other parent has first option before a babysitter can be called, and if one parent does use a sitter, the other parent must give approval and have a contact number/address.

I think this is pretty common.  As a BM and a SM I think you should let BM know you need to use a sitter and give her the opportunity to meet this person and have contact info.  I would definitely expect DD's dad to do this for me and would give the BM in my situation the same courtesy.  We have left the boys with my parents for short times before and we cleared it with BM first and made sure she knew how to get in contact with them if she needed to.

• I don't think you lose anything by offering it to her, and as a mom, I'd really appreciate something like that.
    my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • imagegosse1km:

We did this because BM was using her "flavor of the month" as a free babysitter :P So we never had any idea who was actually watching SD.

This was/ or has been our problem with BM. I think it would be nice to at least offer the info.

• I would expect to know who the sitter was...and I would let ex have the same courtesy if he wanted it.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • I'd send an email after the fact. Meeting is unnecessary. Unless you're the type who would demand to meet her sitter.

Click me, click me!
  • Thanks for the responses!

No, we are not the type to demand the meeting of a sitter.  We will most likely tell her via email after the sitter has been hired.  She on the other hand probably would not tell my H if the tables were turned, but we generally try to treat her in the manner that we'd like to be treated.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"