Special Needs

Feedback from Preschool/IEP?

I go through these spurts where I'm really active or really inactive on here. Sorry for all the posts this week. 

Just curious what kind of time frame I should be allowing before I expect feedback from the preschool on how/what DS is doing. We're mid-week 4 now. I have a notebook from Speech (which is only supposed to be 2x/Quarter). But nothing else. 

I was told there would be checklists, etc... so  they could keep up with IEP progress. I meddled a lot with the IEP process & feel most of it was necessary, but I want to develop a good relationship with the teacher and make sure she knows I trust her. So, I have held back from meddling so far. But it seems like LONG enough now.

I am scheduling a confrence with the teacher but I'd like some thoughts before I make that call. I want to be as respectful as possible - but I am also in the situation that this is the first time I am dealing with the public school system. So, I don't know how they do things. I am certainly going to make that a portion of the reason for my call. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Feedback from Preschool/IEP?

• When I taught preschool disabilities we gave a progress report once a week with all the information on it.  With Matthew I got a report card once.
  • DS was in summer school for 5 weeks, his IEP stated 10-15 min of ST 3-4 times a week.  On the 3rd day of school I asked his teacher if he'd had it b/c she hadn't marked it on the daily sheet she sent home.  She said no he hadn't, the ST wasn't for the summer it was for the fall.  I told her it was for the summer, the IEP directly states that.  So she talked to the SLP that day and told me at pickup that he would be getting it.  So that week he got it twice and was supposed to be 3-4 times.

That taught me to stay on top of things, not wait to ask.  Who knows when they would have started the ST had I not asked.  We are our children's advocates, it's our job to make sure others are doing their jobs.

I became "that mom" the first week, but I really don't care.

DS - June 2006 DD1 - November 2007 DD2 - August 2010
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks for the encouragement. 
  • My ds isn't in the special needs preschool, but I am already "that mom" at his preschool. But they have all been really nice about it and friendly about everything though. They have joked that I need one of their work shirts to wear since I am there so much! So, bottom line, if something is bothering you or feel you need to ask a question, speak up!  

• My oh my how this whole thing is changing me. I used to be the one who wanted to PLEASE everyone. It cannot be done in this area of life. Each step I take, I grow a little more and a little more. 

I might actually turn into an outspoken, bold, leader type one of these days afterall. 

• I am a special ed pre-k teacher.  Most of my students are on the spectrum and cannot convey what goes on in school to their parents.  Therefore I have a communication notebook for each of my students and while I write in some more than others, I do write in each one at least once a week to fill the parents in on progress, behaviors, great things that happened that day, suggestions for carryover, and to check on how things are going outside of school etc....

Maybe this is something the teacher could do for you.  Definitely stay on top of things, and remember the squeeky wheel gets the oil.... sad to say, but so true!

Kirsten DD 4-7-06
  • Kirbear ---- thanks for your reply as you are exactly the person I probably need to hear from! I thought we would have that kind of notebook b/c he certainly cannot communicate ANYTHING to me about his day. It is awesome to hear that someone knows that. I'll make sure to include the fact that he is not telling me anything into my concern for info & connection. Also, his behaviors at home have changed & I have been used to being IN his therapy... not sitting at home wondering what's going on. So, it's very very different for me. 

Thanks again! 

• I hope you update us w/ how the talk w/ the teacher went and the outcome.
    imageimage
    Max 4-08-08 and Michael 2-03-91 (19 years olds)
    image Both boys were born w/ hirschsprung's disease, you find yourself facing this dx, please feel free to ask me any questions.
  • I certainly will!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"