Pennsylvania Babies

If you had mastitis

Did you nurse your baby on the infected side?  I went to an urgent care center on Sat morning b/c my breast was incredibly sore and had red streaks.  I didn't have a fever or any lumps but felt really run down.  The doctor said that I had caught it at an early stage of the infection and to continue with warm compresses, massages, pumping, and nursing every 2 hours.  He also gave me a script for Augmentin.  I read this on kellymom.com so I decided to see if it improved within 24 hours before starting the script.  Thankfully, it has improved but still recovering.  The urgent care dr didn't say not to nurse on that side and neither does kellymom. 

We were in a car accident yesterday (I know, CRAPPY weekend - a sweet kid rear-ended us and our car is totaled but we're all OK).  We went to the ER to get checked out.  When the doctor asked about meds I mentioned that I might be starting Augmentin soon for mastitis.  He asked if I've been pumping & dumping and avoiding nursing on that side.  I said no and he told me that in his training he was taught that mother's shouldn't nurse due to the infection!!!  This is new info to me.  What did you do?  I am waiting on a call back from my LC.  I've been nursing him from both sides all weekend!

{Blog}
TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: If you had mastitis

• You poor thing, I feel so bad for you. I read your blog about all the allergies and really admire your dedication for continuing with breast feeding and now this. I am so glad everyone is okay after the accident.

I am not sure about the mastitis. I know this totally doesn?t relate but my aunt is a dairy farmer and I know they dump their milk when a cow has mastitis.  I think I remember my uncle saying the milk is still good when a cow has mastitis that they dump the milk only because the cow is on antibiotics and someone could be allergic to the low dose of the antibiotic that would come through the milk.  Haha, I am so not comparing us breast feeding mothers to cows though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Christina, I'm so sorry to hear about everything you've been through this weekend.  I'm so glad you are all okay from the accident, too! 

When I had mastitis, my NP told me to keep nursing and continue on the antibiotics...but DD didn't have any known allergy to it.  I think mine started with a clogged duct in the first place, so it was important to keep everything flowing.  Hurts unbelievably, but it cleared up in a few days.  With everything you've been through allergy-wise, it might be worth a double check with another doc.  I hope you start to feel better soon!

• Loading the player...
  • Oh my goodness!  You poor thing!  I had not had mastitis but everything that I know about it, you have to keep nursing through it.  I know a friend who had it and she was told the same thing, to keep nursing.  I hope you feel better soon and can replace the car quickly!
  • I'm so sorry Christina! No advice, but just wanted to let you know that I'm glad you are all okay and weren't injured in your accident. Hang in there, thinking of you through this all!
  • Thank you for the support.  The accident sucked but it was a reality check to just how much damage can happen so quickly.  I'm really thankful that it wasn't worse.

Everyone I've talked with said OK to continue nursing through mastitis.  I wonder why the ER doc said otherwise.  Ethan doesn't seem to be affected at all but I haven't had to take the antibiotics.  Seems I had symptoms early into the infection so it was able to clear w/o meds.

RosePks, seriously LOL at the cow reference but it made perfect sense.  Do your aunt and uncle drink raw milk?  Is their dairy farm local?  I've been considering raw milk once I can consume milk again.  Thanks for reading my blog too!

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • im glad you laughed about the cow reference. I didn't want to offend anyone. Yes they have always drank the raw milk and so did their three children. My dad used to say he didn't want us to drink it but he later realized it was fine and we did drink it when we visited. It is super think though and I never really cared for it but some people rave about it. It does make the very best hot chocolate ever.  She boils it and adds chocolate syrup, soo good and thick.

Yes, they are local they live in Fredericksburg at the Berks county/Lebanon county line so it is far from Harrisburg. I had my coworkers come visit the farm with their kids and they drank the milk and liked it. If you're interested in the milk I could bring it to the Harrisburg area. She is babysitting Bryce on Tuesdays so I could just pick it up that morning.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I've always heard to keep nursing to help keep the ducts from clogging worse, but that is in no way a highly educated opinion!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"