Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

The swaddling obsession

I may be majorly missing out on something here, but will someone please explain to me why so many people on the bump seem so very determined to swaddle their LO and get him/her to stay swaddled?

I swaddled LO initially, but even in the hospital he was determined to get out of it - so after about a week I just kind of shrugged and gave up on the issue completely.

That was the end of it in our household. I didn't buy anything to get him to stay swaddled, I didn't research ways to make him stay swaddled, I just moved on.

Can someone explain to me what the big deal about swaddling is?

***edited to add LO has slept well since day 1 and isn't the fussy sort, which may have something to do with my lack of understanding?

Re: The swaddling obsession

• Options
    my LO can't sleep unless swaddled.  she is too distracted by her moving arms.  it is very comforting for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DS slept on my chest in the hospital not swaddled and was only swaddled during the day....until we got home. He hated it! He sleeps just fine with a blanket over him.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Due December 16, 2012! BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ditto first post.... comforting and cant sleep unless swaddled.
  • Options
    I've found that DS sleeps better when swaddled (the startle reflex doesn't wake him up as he can't flail his arms) and it helps to calm him when he is fussy (part of the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block).
  • Options
    The idea behind it is that it reminds them of how they were in the womb - very tightly wrapped.  Our DS also seemed to hate it initially so we stopped after the first week.  Just in the past week I started doing it again after a particularly fussy day.  I think it keeps him from waking himself up from his flailing arms.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "You're gonna miss this You're gonna want this back You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast..."
  • Options

Different strokes, different folks.?

Our LO sleeps longer and better when swaddled, so we swaddle him at night. I don't think that qualifies me as obsessed.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageskylooo:
    my LO can't sleep unless swaddled.  she is too distracted by her moving arms.  it is very comforting for her.

This. She has sttn since 8 weeks swaddled. We've tried to stop swaddling and she woke up at night...so the swaddling resumes. Every baby is different and likes different things.
  • Options

***edited to add LO has slept well since day 1 and isn't the fussy sort, which may have something to do with my lack of understanding?

This has everything to do with you not getting it. I started swaddling in her second week after reading Happiest Baby on the Block.

It got my screaming, non-sleeping baby to make a 180 in about 10 seconds.

We just recently stopped because she seems to have moved on from needing it to feel secure and sleep.

Not all babies need it though.

"If you find a mate in life, you should be loyal. In your case, grateful."
    SAHM to two sweet girls, both born at home; Baby #3 in 2013!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I think this is why you don't get the swaddling thing.  My LO can't sleep in her co-sleeper without a swaddle.  She's getting to the point that she can't co-sleep without a swaddle either.
  • Options

imageskylooo:

Same here.

• Options

My son couldn't sleep without being swaddled.

My daughter liked it for the first few months, then didn't want it anymore.

• Options
    I could have written your post!  I don't get it either.
  • Options
    DS sleeps better when swaddled. He looks cute, too... bonus! :D
  • Options
    It helps our LO sleep longer stretches at night. He is a good sleeper generally and not super fussy but he will startle himself awake if left unswaddled to sleep. He loves to suck on his left hand so we've always left one arm free. The one armed burrito is magical.
  • Options
    imagesimply_southern:

Can someone explain to me what the big deal about swaddling is?

This is exactly why you don't get it.  Many, many, many newborn babies either A) cannot sleep on their backs unless swaddled and/or B) sleep much better/longer on their backs while swaddled (because the startle reflex doesn't wake them).

My DS slept in our arms or in a swing until he was a few weeks old.  From then until 6 weeks he slept in his bassinet, tightly swaddled.  Now, he sleeps on his tummy in his crib.  He still won't sleep on his back for more than a few minutes, and many, many, many kids will not sleep on their backs unless swaddled.

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

imageskylooo:

This.  We are trying to break the habit now.  Not fun!  We are not swaddling our next child.

• Options

Okay. Thanks everyone.

I was just sitting around wondering what the big deal was - or if I had missed out on some kind of health or safety benefit?

My LO sleeps like a log, set his own 2-3 hour daytime sleeping schedule and only wakes me up once at night to nurse ever since coming home from the hospital. He only fusses when he wants something and hasn't been colic-y at all...in other words, he's an angel and we got really lucky. As several of you have said, this is probably why I've never figured out why people are so determined to swaddle.

Thanks for the info!

• Options
    imagesimply_southern:

Okay. Thanks everyone.

I was just sitting around wondering what the big deal was - or if I had missed out on some kind of health or safety benefit?

My LO sleeps like a log, set his own 2-3 hour daytime sleeping schedule and only wakes me up once at night to nurse ever since coming home from the hospital. He only fusses when he wants something and hasn't been colic-y at all...in other words, he's an angel and we got really lucky. As several of you have said, this is probably why I've never figured out why people are so determined to swaddle.

Thanks for the info!

I hate chu! 

Just kidding  Smile ... my baby is a pretty easy baby, but not nearly as easy as yours!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    imagejolis_petits_bijoux:
    imagesimply_southern:

Okay. Thanks everyone.

Thanks for the info!

I hate chu! 

Just kidding  Smile ... my baby is a pretty easy baby, but not nearly as easy as yours!

LoL! My best friend spent all last summer taking care of her newborn nephew (her sis ended up delivering with 1/2 a semester until college graduation and had to finish) - she came down to help me with him and then just sat there, shaking her head and saying she can't believe how laid back he is!

Methinks he's making up for making me puke all 39 weeks and 6 days of pregnancy (morning sickness for the 1st tri, severe heartburn for 2nd and 3rd).

• Options
    My baby won't sleep unless he's swaddled. He sleeps, I sleep, and so we swaddle. He tries to bust out, and when he succeeds, he wakes up and screams. We swaddle to maintain sanity! I do hope he gets over it though, we have a lot of hot weather to get through and I worry about him overheating.
    Visit The Nest! Visit The Nest!
    Birthday
  • Options

imagesaj&jaj:
    I've found that DS sleeps better when swaddled (the startle reflex doesn't wake him up as he can't flail his arms) and it helps to calm him when he is fussy (part of the 5 S's from Happiest Baby on the Block).

Yep. And it's not like swaddling is a fad, humans of every culture have been swaddling their babies forever. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"