Special Needs

Hello- anyone here have a LO with Hypothyroidism?

My DD was just diagnosed with this on Friday. They started her on medicine and we'll be seeing an endocrinologist next month. I am beginning to resarch this, and I wanted to see if anyone else is dealing with this issue and how things are going. Thanks.

Re: Hello- anyone here have a LO with Hypothyroidism?

• MEEE!!! It is kind of rare and I haven't meet really anyone else besides some older kids who have it. Liam has congenital hypothyroidism. Dx at 15 days and that's when we started supplementing him w/ synthroid. He'll be four on Friday and he is doing wonderful. Have any specific ??? let me know!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • btw...I am mostly on the Seattle board. If you want to chat page me there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • KRTKRT member
    If you don't mind me asking, what symptoms did she have prior to diagnosis.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (hypothyroidism) and am concerned that DD will develop this as well.  She is 22 months. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageKRT:
    If you don't mind me asking, what symptoms did she have prior to diagnosis.  I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis (hypothyroidism) and am concerned that DD will develop this as well.  She is 22 months. 

She was sleepy a lot, not gaining much weight, and was always constipated. I didn't know these were symptoms, but the pedi did and tested her, thank God.

• Your DD my develop it at some point but with congenital hypothyriodism, it is usually a malfunction that happens somewhere in the first trimester of pregnancy. You can always have your DD's levels checked but signs to watch out for are sleeping often, not crying or hoarse cries, widened tongue, and constipation. In the hospital the do a PKU test which should include a thyroid test. Many states require it since it is such a disorder to easily treat. At 22 mos. the Childrens lab just pricked Liam's foot and got small amounts to test. Now it is full on blood draws. Good luck and feel free to ask anything.
  • Hey Star- I'm sorry to hear about Kadence, but glad to hear that the doc found the reason for the low weight gain. I remember you were worried for awhile there about how little she was eating.

DS hasn't been diagnosed with it yet, but the thryoid is controlled by the pituitary gland (which he has other issues with) so he may be diagnosed with it in the future. You're not the only one seeing any endocrinologist!

PS- I love your new siggy pic!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"