D.C. Area Babies

is my pediatrician nuts!?

One day I will stop worrying about how big my DS is, but today is not the day....

We were at the pediatrician the other day and I asked about rice cereal as DS is going through about 50oz of formula a day and is big for his age. The pediatrician said that it was fine, that DS was developmentally ready for rice. (He also said DS was big, but nothing I should worry about- even though I do.)

He then said that I should also start feeding him baby food (like the super pureed veggies and fruits) as this would help stop the rice cereal "from acting like a cork in his butt". WHAT?! I'm just getting used to the idea of incorporating rice cereal and the doc is already thinking about baby food? *so confused* WWYD?

Re: is my pediatrician nuts!?

• Rice cereal is very constipating.  We skipped it completely and started with regular baby food--avocado, bananas, pears, etc. You could also start with oatmeal instead of rice, as it doesn't have the constipating effect.

I think this is what he was talking about.

Definitely don't worry about your DS being big!  It's great!  As soon as he gets mobile he'll start slimming down and you'll miss the baby chub.

• Well, isn't rice cereal just baby food, afterall?

I see what he's saying - balance the soluble fiber with a little insoluble fiber to help some of it come out the other end.

Personally, I'd try just a little bit of the rice cereal - and see what happens.  It may not affect his poop at all.  With that said, I'd try to wait a couple more weeks until he hits the 4 month mark, and start some other things at 4.5 or 5 months.  (but, that's just a personal opinion... and, you will make the right decision for your baby!)  We actually waited until about 5.5 months for any food.

NestBaby Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Some kids are ready to handle foods earlier, but I'd start slow (at least through 4 months) - try the baby oatmeal cereal in addition to the rice cereal.  If the rice cereal is constipating add a Tbl of prune juice. 

• I agree with PPs - prune juice is great as a counter-reactor to the rice cereal, which can be constipating

why does your pedi think DS is ready for solids? is he showing all the signs? 3.5 mos is way too young IMO, we waited till 6 mo

are you planning to intro the cereal in a bottle or with a spoon?

you don't have to do rice, oatmeal, barley, others are good as well

unfortunately, avocado did not work for us, as DD was allergic :(

• Well, DS has just about doubled his birth weight, he's holding his head up pretty well and he's sucking down the formula like nothing else. For DH, it's the fact that DS is taking in so much formula that has him concerned.

I know 3.5 months is early, but I'm getting pushed and pulled on this- people and the medical community say wait, but our docs, DH and my parents say go for it. He's definitely big for his age, so part of me feels like it's okay (he's over 17lbs). The other part of me wouldn't mind waiting, but it seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. I can't win...

We're going to feed him with a spoon. We were told not to put the cereal in a bottle.

• read this to see if he's really ready

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/readyforsolids.htm

did he have his 3-mo growth spurt?

• imageSofka:

read this to see if he's really ready

https://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/readyforsolids.htm

did he have his 3-mo growth spurt?

I think he's going through it as his appetite has definitely increased and almost all of his 3 month onesies have bit the dust.

• That is too funny.

I have a big baby too and so did my sister.  She started her daughter on rice cereal at around 4 months but I held out until 5.5 months as I didn't feel DS was ready.

We did start DS on veggies at the same time as cereal to keep him regular.  

And don't worry...your adorable son will start to average out--DS is now in the 88th percentile for weight, which is the first time he has been out of the 95+ range!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • A good friend of mine, who is a pediatric nurse if that makes any difference has huge babies.  Her newest DS was was 21 lbs at his 4 month appt.  She started solids at 3+ months for both of her DSs with no problems, they were ready and clearly very hungry little boys.  You've got to listen to your child's cues.  Guidelines and ranges are just that, ever baby is an individual and if he is ready, he is ready.
  • imagekcita_234:

We're going to feed him with a spoon. We were told not to put the cereal in a bottle.

Bad mother here....I totally put ceral in the bottle starting at like 3-4 mo. (they said don't do it back then too) Not every bottle. Just the one in the morning and the one before bed. He wasn't ready for a spoon. The cereal really help cut back on some formula and he wasn't as hungry through the day. We always had contipation issues too...even before the cereal starting at about 1 mo. I was told to put a bit of Karo Syrup in the bottle. I don't remember the reason, but there was some reason the Dr. said not to use Juice that early. Anyway....that was 8 years ago so...

• i started ds on cereal at 3.5 months.  he was ready for it. i fed him with a spoon and he would eat a little bowl of it.  we started with about a tablespoon or 2 and moved up from there.  i took my time going through all the cereals (it helps find out if they are allergic to any grains) and then moved on to the veggies and added fruits after that.  i wanted to save "the good stuff" for the end.  i say if your baby is ready then go for it.
  • We went from rice cereal to rice cereal with fruit puree mixed in pretty quickly.  Mixing in stage 1 prunes or apples is a good counter to the rice cereal's effects.  I would listen to your ped, and frankly, I would put whatever s/he said above what you find on random websites (including this one). ;-)   What exactly are the the dire consequences of trying out the rice cereal?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"