Pregnant after 35
Options

Lunch Meat-not asking if its okay to eat or not don't worry..

does anyone know of anyone who has actually gotten sick from lunch meat that wasn't heated until steaming???

Re: Lunch Meat-not asking if its okay to eat or not don't worry..

• Options
  • Options
    Nope
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a friend who thinks that is the reason for her last miscarriage but she was never tested and I am pretty skeptical.
  • Options

This is slightly off topic.  

Even though the only way I really eat lunch meat is ham in a hot sandwich (grilled cheese or egg and cheese) whenever anyone mentions cooking lunch meat until it is steaming my stomach turns. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagematildasun:

whenever anyone mentions cooking lunch meat until it is steaming my stomach turns. 

I agree. I would much rather skip the whole thing than microwave lunch meat. It just sounds so repulsive. 

• Options

YES!  A friend of mine got listeria from turkey.  She had it at a very reputable deli/lunch place.  She was hospitalized for 3 months.  The listeria settled on her brain and she had to have a port inserted through her chest for antibiotics to be ministered.  It was horrible.  The total recovery time was about 6 months.  Fortunately though, she was NOT pregnant.  I don't even want to imagine what would have happened to the baby if she was pregnant.

So many pregnant women want to ignore this warning and so many doctors are stupid enough to tell them  it is ok to eat cold lunch meat.  I know the cases are probably few and far between, but I would rather be safe than sorry. 

• Options

No. I don't. I don't even know people who have gotten sick when not pregnant. Yes, it's a bad, nasty bacteria. But your odds of being harmed by it are less than your odds of being in a car accident. 

And nothing - no activity, no situation, no food is 100% safe. For me, the risk of listeria is one of ones I'm ok with. Bring on the deli meat and soft cheese!

2012 Races: Mar 24: Great Human Race 5K. April 28: 5K for Fitness
  • Options
    imagepinkysun:

YES!  A friend of mine got listeria from turkey.  She had it at a very reputable deli/lunch place.  She was hospitalized for 3 months.  The listeria settled on her brain and she had to have a port inserted through her chest for antibiotics to be ministered.  It was horrible.  The total recovery time was about 6 months.  Fortunately though, she was NOT pregnant.  I don't even want to imagine what would have happened to the baby if she was pregnant.

So many pregnant women want to ignore this warning and so many doctors are stupid enough to tell them  it is ok to eat cold lunch meat.  I know the cases are probably few and far between, but I would rather be safe than sorry. 

Wow Pinky! That's scary!

• Options
    DH bought me a panini press for Christmas and I panini the heck out of everything.  Microwaving lunch meat just sounds nasty, but chicken and mozzarella with pesto on a ciabatta roll in my panini press is heavenly!
  • Options

imageshelby9201:
    DH bought me a panini press for Christmas and I panini the heck out of everything.  Microwaving lunch meat just sounds nasty, but chicken and mozzarella with pesto on a ciabatta roll in my panini press is heavenly!

This, I could do...  I am with most of the other women for whom the idea of steaming luch meat is a bit off-putting...

• Options

A friends daughter lost her baby at 20 wks this spring. After all the testing was finished the Dr's said that the loss was due to Ecoli and was most likely something she ate!

I guess I'm just paranoid after having gone through so many early losses, but I am very firmly in the 'take no risks' category! I'm high risk enough without adding controlable risks in! Stick out tongue

• Options

imageshelby9201:

LOL Good thought!  Does anyone else remember the Toastmaster that used to make little triangular grilled cheese pockets? I think that was a poor man's panini machine!  With #1, lunchmeat turned my stomach anyway. Not feeling so icky with #2, so I was thinking I might try the new subway that just opened up near us, but now with that listeria story, I'm gonna pass.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"