New Jersey Babies

Disability benefits

Are you getting your benefits from your employer or from the state?

When I told my OB yesterday that my benefits were through my employer, he said, "Oh that's too bad...most of my patients have state disability, which is much more generous than the private plans."

Apparently, state disability gives you 4 weeks before the birth, whereas my employer gives only 2 weeks. WTF?? I'm so confused - can you qualify for state benefits if you have benefits offered through your employer? I found it odd that most of my OB's patients have the state disability.

Re: Disability benefits

•  I thought as long as you worked for your company for a year that you can get stat disability.  Is your company national or just local? My company is located in a couple of states, so it does have a private plan but since I work/live in NJ I had the state disability.  Hope that helps

• Are they taking Di benefits out of your pay check? Becasue if they are you are eligiable for the state benefits.   The NJ state Di for Pregnancy is 4 weeks before and 6 weeks after and you can now as on July collect an additioanl 6 weeks of FMLA paid to bond with your child.  The benefits are paid at 2/3 of your salary to a max of 548.00.

Check you your Human Resource if you have one some times comapny pay you at 100 but, give you less time but, it works out the same money wise.    

Hope that helps. 

10/17/2009 - Our Miracle came 10 weeks early. IF,2 MC and 1 Preemie we have our miracle.. Baby Hope 10 weeks 5days was taken from us on Dec 18, 2007. Forever with us and Forever missed. Triplets Lost baby A @ weeks, Lost Baby B at 6 weeks and lost baby Abigail at 14 weeks when she was born to little for this life..... Forever with us ....
  • Loading the player...
  • I was wondering the same thing. I spoke with my HR and they have a plan but the state's seems better and longer. i do also pay into it.  However, asking any questions is like pulling teeth to get answers... I feel like I'm dealing with dumb and dumber....
  • Hi....

If your employer has a private plan it is usally just so they get better rates....however the private plan has to offer the same benefits as the state plan not worse so i would ask your HR department for the information or call the company yourself. Typically with disability benefits they will pay 2-4 weeks before and 6-8 weeks after depending how you deliver.

I have also seen some employers offer make-up pay or salary continuance so that you will receive 100% of your pay for all or some of your time away depending on how you are paid and how long you have worked for them!

After your state disability runs out you can apply for the Family leave insurance (new this year) through the state and get an additional six weeks of pay to be home with your baby.

Hope that helps.... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"