Health & Exercise
Options

simple ways to cut fat and calories

picked up this list from gerber's start healthy, stay healthy site - what other tips and ideas do you guys have for making little tweaks to your diet to lose weight?  i already cut out soda and mayo!

• Remove the visible fat from meat before cooking.
  • Opt for ground beef that is 90 to 95% lean.
  • Choose white meat rather than dark when serving poultry and remove the skin.
  • Broil or bake foods rather than pan-frying them.
  • Saut? foods in a bit of broth, instead of butter or oil.
  • Poach fish or chicken in water, broth, or tomato juice.
  • Roast meat and poultry on a rack so fat drips away.
  • Cook soups and stews ahead, then chill. After the fat hardens on top during chilling, remove it. Making the dishes ahead improves the flavor as well.
  • Add flavor without fat by seasoning with herbs, spices, or flavored vinegars.
  • Switch to evaporated fat-free milk to cut calories from homemade cream soups and sauces. It?s also good in quiches and casseroles.
  • For sandwiches, use 1 tablespoon of mustard rather than 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise.
  • Top your toast or a bagel with 1 tablespoon of low-fat or fat-free cream cheese or all-fruit jam in place of butter.
  • For a salty snack, opt for unbuttered popcorn rather than potato chips.
  • Eat ripe, fresh fruit for a sweet snack rather than a candy bar or granola bar.
  • Make omelets with refrigerated egg substitute, instead of eggs.
  • Choose a vegetable-topped pizza over pepperoni or sausage.

Re: simple ways to cut fat and calories

• Options
    good tips, thanks!
  • Options

Is there anyone out there who used to eat a low-fat diet and thought that it would actually make them thin?  Me - until I realized I wasn't getting any thinner eating that way.

Eating less fat only makes your body think you are starving, which in turn makes your body hold on to fat. 

Check out Mary Enig's book Eat Fat, Lose Fat

Also Underground Wellness has a lot of great information on real nutrition.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"