Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

left freezer door open overnight-is my stash safe?

I'm such an effing idiot. Stayed at my mom's last night. When I got home I saw that I had left the freezer door cracked open for 24 hours. I lost half my stash and most of the items in the freezer. Some of my bm is still frozen but the freezer warmed up a bit. Is this BM safe to keep? The freezer is cool and I hope cooling down as we speak. I'm afraid the thing is broken.I'm giving it a few hours to see if it starts to make ice and gets cold again. The stuff in our fridge wasn't as cold as it should be either. Is my BM safe? Do you think I broke the fridge? I think I might just die if all my BM is trashed and I have to buy a new fridge. DH will kill me. Obviously I'm being dramatic but I am freaking out. We're having a bunch of people over for a cookout in 2.5 hours.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: left freezer door open overnight-is my stash safe?

• Options
    This is your freezer that is part of the fridge?  I'd say no, it isn't safe.  If it was in a deep freeze I'd suggest that you could maybe use it up but the temp requirements for freezing seem pretty strict to me.  Could you maybe give your local LLL a call though?  Surely they'd have some advice.  GL!
  • Options
    The freezer is seperate from the fridge. It's a two door fridge/freezer-side by side deal. I don't have a seperate deep freeze freezer. I think the freezer is still working. I put a cup of water in the freezer and itLs already getting icy.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageJen&Carl:
    The freezer is seperate from the fridge. It's a two door fridge/freezer-side by side deal. I don't have a seperate deep freeze freezer. I think the freezer is still working. I put a cup of water in the freezer and itLs already getting icy.

Right, that's what I meant when I said the freezer with the fridge.  A deep freeze keeps things at 0 degrees but a fridge freezer is not as cold, I can't remember how cold but I do know that it's not as cold.  You can't thaw and refreeze BM so I would guess that would be the reason why your stash might be gone.  But I still suggest giving an "expert" a call.  Surely you can't be the only person this has ever happened to.  

• Options
    imageGypsyEsq:

imageJen&Carl:

Right, that's what I meant when I said the freezer with the fridge.  A deep freeze keeps things at 0 degrees but a fridge freezer is not as cold, I can't remember how cold but I do know that it's not as cold.  You can't thaw and refreeze BM so I would guess that would be the reason why your stash might be gone.  But I still suggest giving an "expert" a call.  Surely you can't be the only person this has ever happened to.  

A search on the kellymom.com forums has a similar question.  The moderator of the board replied and said: " Milk can safely be refrozen if it's still slushy with ice chunks in it "  So I guess maybe my milk is ok?

• Options
    Test it. Does it smell sour?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"