Baby Names

spelling question: Jane or Jayne?

Aesthestically I prefer Jayne I think, but am leaning towards Jane as I think it may be the more common spelling even though both are normal accepted spellings. I know Jayne is not "out there" but do you think it would often be spelled wrong because Jane is the spelling most people think of first? I certainly don't want to give my child the burden of a constantly spelled wrong name....especially when it is not even a made-up or "u-neek" type of name!  :)

Re: spelling question: Jane or Jayne?

• Keep it as Jane-it is what people will think of first, and she would probably have to correct people.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • image07bride:
    I like Jane

Me too!

• imagestarsmaycollide:
    Keep it as Jane-it is what people will think of first, and she would probably have to correct people.

Agreed. It's not like you're going to pick her up from school and say "I'm here for Jane-with-a-Y."

• Jayne sounds you-neek to me, sorry. 
  • Jayne was popularised by Jane Mansfield back in the 50s but I still don't like it.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• I say No to superfluous "y".  Jane is cuter than Jayne- unless your intention is to name the baby after someone named Jay.
  • Jane is so much better
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageboxie:
    Jayne sounds you-neek to me, sorry. 

Jayne LOOKS "you-neek." You can't distinguish the sound.

To answer your question, yes, people are probably going to spell it Jane before Jayne. That said, I think either one is fine. I still don't understand how having to spell your name is a burden. I don't ever, and have never, had a problem spelling my name and am asked to do it every time it is needed for any kind of documentation. Spelling your name is a part of life. Even people with the most "common" names are asked how they spell it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'd go with Jane.  I do like how Jayne looks, but I like how Jane looks better.  It's just such a clear and bright spelling and name.  Very nice choice.
  • Jane.

IMO Jayne looks like it would be pronounced Jan-ie.

• jane.
  • imageTeach84:

Jane.

IMO Jayne looks like it would be pronounced Jan-ie.

Ditto.  OR Jay - nee

• imageshanBmcg:

imageboxie:
    Jayne sounds you-neek to me, sorry. 

I still don't understand how having to spell your name is a burden. I don't ever, and have never, had a problem spelling my name and am asked to do it every time it is needed for any kind of documentation.

I would agree, but my sister is named Jordon- and has had her name spelled wrong constantly her entire life even when people were given the correct spelling. Just to name a few- it was wrong on almost every birthday cake she ever got, it was wrong on her high school diploma, it was wrong on her wedding invitations (that had to be reprinted.) It is goes on and on-after living vicariously through her experiences- I don't want to do that to my kid LOL! I am pretty sure we are going with Jane, I just think Jayne is more fun to write to be honest!

• I prefer Jane.

I've only ever seen "Jayne" as a last name, and I'm afraid people will try to pronounce it "Janie."

• Jane. ?If she is Jayne everyone will always spell it wrong. She will have to correct everyone everywhere everytime she makes an appointment, signs up for anything, etc. Everyone will spell it Jane, and she will have to re-spell it for them. Jane is beautiful as it is, no need to complicate it:)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Jane, great name! ?
  • Jayne would be constantly spelled wrong.  No, not "out there" but it is 'u-neek' only in that the more traditional Jane came first.
  • I love the name Jane. When we rescued our dog she was already named: Daisy Jane (like the America song) and to add our touch to her name I changed teh spelling of Jane to Jayne.  I thought it was kinda cool.  If I were naming a baby though I'd go with Jane and skip the unique factor.  Jane is classy!
  • I personally love Jayne. ?But I think you would lock your kid into a lifetime of "Jane. ?With a y." ?Which isn't a huge deal. ?This coming from a gal with a really unusual name that always gets mispronounced and always has to be spelled for people. ?If you like the look of Jayne I totally say go for it.
    imageimageimage
  • If you really like it better, then go with it. We will probably use Jayne as a middle name but more because I want to combine our mom's names which are Jean and Kay.
    DD May 2010
    DS July 2012
    EDD Sept 2015

• Jane

• When I see Jayne I want to pronounce it Jay-Ne with a long E at the end.
  • I prefer Jane.
  • I like Jayne, also because it is fun to write lol. My friend is named Jayne and she is an amazing person so I love that way of spelling it. I don't see why anyone who can read would pronounce it Jay-nee but that's just me.

Jane is classic though so if you don't want your child to have to spell her name at times, then yes, pick that spelling. I doubt she would have as much trouble as your sister though. 

Pretty name!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a unique spelling of a common name and I personally hate it.  I feel like I am cursed to correct people on the spelling and pronunciation for the rest of my life.  Also when I was little I couldn't have personalized items like name plates, book marks, cups, pencils etc.

I swore when I had a baby they would have the most common spelling. 

I know my parents liked the spelling of my name but they are not the ones with the name.  So remember this will be your baby but it will not be YOUR name.

• Some may pronounce it Jay-nee. I know a little girl that spells it like that, Jaynee. So I'd prob just stick to the original spelling. It's  a cute name, too!

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagejennicg27:

image07bride:
    I like Jane

Me too!

This.

• Jane is a gorgeous name. Jayne looks awful IMO.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"