Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Anyone Use Baby Gates to Keep Cats Out?

Hi- I'm worried about keeping my cats away from the baby when she's sleeping, and also just keeping them out of the nursery in general. I know I could just keep the nursery door closed, but I especially don't want to do this when the baby is asleep in there. Has anyone used baby gates to keep their cats out? Does it work, or do they just climb or jump over them?

Any other suggestions are also appreciated, if you have them!

Thanks!!

Re: Anyone Use Baby Gates to Keep Cats Out?

• Every cat I know would just right over a baby gate. Keep the door closed or get netting to go over her crib.
    imageimage
  • My cat wants nothing to do with DS.  That said, there's no way a baby gate would keep her out if she wanted in.
  • Loading the player...
  • we had the same issue .... our cats adore the babies though and are eerily human like with them ...

but we used TWO of the gates ... put one right above the other .....

i had a friend who found a fancy looking "screen" door and put that up instead .... sounds kinda retarded but it looked nice and nothing got in there and they could see n hear everything .... but they paid a lot to have the door that way ... but good idea IMO

• DH built a plywood gate thats taller than a baby gate. its been working good
  • Unless you had elderly cats, I can't imagine that they wouldn't jump over a gate if they wanted in somewhere. I know a gate wouldn't slow down my cats. We keep the nursery door shut when we aren't in there, but I have seen my cats jump into the crib right in front of me. LO still sleeps in a PnP in our room now and we keep the door shut at night and the cats out. I plan to start transitioning her into her crib this weekend and then we will shut the door on the nursery, but will have the monitor to listen for her. My cats leave the baby alone for the most part, but I'm worried that they would just be too tempted to have a warm body to curl up to.
    imageimage
    Matilda 6/19/09
    Graham 10/25/13
  • I couldn't keep my cat out of the crib (either time) when I was pregnant, but he's a scardy cat and doesn't jump in with either kid.  I wouldn't worry about it too much until the baby is here and you see how the cats react.  No need to spend extra money on a solution if the cats stay away on their own.

Also, I prefer having the door closed during naps because it decreases the chance that I'll accidently wake the baby.  :-)

Heather Margaret --- Feb '07 and Todd Eldon --- April '09
  • I would suggest getting a crib tent.  It is a net that is designed to keep cats out.  Or close the door.
  • We have a baby gate but it only keeps the dog out.  Cats hop right over it without even touching it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Thanks everyone! Some good suggestions! I didn't think the baby gate idea would really work anyway, but thought I'd get your opinions just in case. Oh well! We'll have to wait and see how the kitties react to our new LO:)
  • We have two pretty active cats and we bought the extra tall dream baby gate.  it comes in black and white and is the tallest I could find ( I searched a lot!!) We have had it up for about 2 weeks now in preparation for moving the baby to her own room and the cats have not jumped over once.  In fact, one time I had it propped open because I was working on some stuff and one of the cats was in there with me.  I forgot when I closed it and found her sitting on the inside waiting to be let out.  She couldn't get out herself.  Other people in the reviews online said the same thing.  I would obviously set it up and practice to make sure your cats can't, but it has been working for us.   Good luck.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2632196
  • imagej&jp:

We have two pretty active cats and we bought the extra tall dream baby gate.  it comes in black and white and is the tallest I could find ( I searched a lot!!) We have had it up for about 2 weeks now in preparation for moving the baby to her own room and the cats have not jumped over once.  In fact, one time I had it propped open because I was working on some stuff and one of the cats was in there with me.  I forgot when I closed it and found her sitting on the inside waiting to be let out.  She couldn't get out herself.  Other people in the reviews online said the same thing.  I would obviously set it up and practice to make sure your cats can't, but it has been working for us.   Good luck.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2632196

I read the reviews of this gate online and it sounds perfect!! I'm absolutely buying one. Even if my cats find a way to jump over it (and it doesn't sound like most cats do), I need a baby gate for the stairs anyway so it won't be a total waste of money. Thanks so much!

• We built a dutch door (a nursery door). That way I can shut the lower portion at night and not worry about my pesty cats bothering DS.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"