Pennsylvania Babies
Options

*banbear*

Hey, thanks for your post. I actually have been thinking about you. I thought it was around this time in your pregnancy that you went on bedrest, but I couldn't remember for sure. So you do have IBS and this caused some uterine contractions? I was really surprised yesterday that the perinatologist brought up IBS as a factor in everything that is going on. While I've had my issues in the past, it doesn't really effect me daily and I've never seen a GI. I still want to know what the  bleed is from, but its interesting to know that someone else as had contractions as a result of IBS. Were the uterine contractions as a result of the IBS what caused your cervis to shorten, or another factor? Thankfully, my cervix is doing well - but its her fear that the next time I won't be so lucky.

On the other hand, my sister is currently completing her rotation with a GI practice and she talked to all of the doctors today. All of them disagree that IBS can have an impact on pregnancy and cause contractions. I go to the GI Tuesday so it will be interesting to see what they say.

This afternoon I've had a lot of lower back pain that feels like menstrual cramps. It doesn't feel like the contractions that I was having in the front and back last week, so I have no idea. Just hoping it stops!

Re: *banbear*

• Options

I was 24 week when it started to shorten and 26 weeks when I was hospitalized.

The thing is that nobody ever wants to relate anything to anything!!  Even though my cervix shortened this time, they say it had nothing to do with my loss the first time.  And they wouldn't say that IBS caused some of my contractions, but one of the first thing they would ask you in the hospital when you were on the monitor and had contractions was when was the last time you went to the bathroom.  I think it usually causes irritation in some women but not necessarily contractions.  I've had IBS for years and have seen a GI and had a colonoscopy and EGD.  In fact, I am due again this year.

The cervix is a weird thing.  They say that there isn't a specific "thing" that makes it shorten.  Once mine went to 1.8 I thought I was doomed, I didn't think that it could go back UP, but it was at 2.4 for awhile.  The good thing about it is now that they know you may have an issue they can monitor you closely which makes all the difference for your sanity.  As much as I hated being in the hospital, when I went home I missed hearing her hb twice a day.

I'll be thinking of you and I'll be glad to commiserate with you anytime!!

• Options

Interesting that you mention how the doctors asked when you went to the bathroom last after having contractions. No idea if there is a correlation, but I was crampy/achy all afternoon (not contractions though) and finally felt better this evening after using the bathroom. Sorry for the TMI :) Not sure if it is a fluke or not. If not, that is crazy that IBS could cause such intense contractions. 

I'm just praying and hoping that my cervix stays as is and I don't have any more contractions! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Well, I guess there is only so much room in there?!?!  haha

I will pray for you as well!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"