Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Gripe water/constipation?

I finally decided to try gripe water for my DD who has gas/spit up/colic issues.  It worked wonders for us and I used it exclusively for about 8 days.  But by day 7, she started to become very constipated and her bowel movements were hard.  Although it didn't seem like it caused her any pain at all when she would go.  Pedi recommended karo syrup in her bottle but that really didn't seem to help either so we stopped using the gripe water and within a week, she was having normal bowel movements but we are back to the screaming and crying during feedings!!  Ugh! 

Anyone else experience this with gripe water?  Any other suggestions?  I am back to using gas drops and they just don't work as well as the gripe water did and I am sad about all of her screaming during feeding time.

Re: Gripe water/constipation?

• EANEAN member
    I have never heard of Gripe water doing that- how much did you give her a day?
  • We experienced this and unfortunately we never found an easy solution. We ended up putting DS on a gently formula that did wonders, but if we ever give him the gripe water now he will end up constipated pretty quickly.
  • Loading the player...
  • We have had the same problem with DD and I never associated it with the gripe water but she was fine until she was on it for about a week. Guess I need to stop and see if she goes back to normal. And we have no luck with the mylicon drops either.
  • EANEAN member
    That stinks!  I have been using the gripe water a lot because my LO has been screaming and shaking her head at her bottle.
  • Gripe water does the exact opposite to my kid...anytime he gets it, he poops a ton the next day. We use the Little Tummies brand.
  • imageEAN:
    I have never heard of Gripe water doing that- how much did you give her a day?

I only gave her 1/2 tsp before her feedings and she eats 5-6 times a day.  It was the little tummies brand and it actually suggested 1 tsp for her size but she is much smaller than most babies so I didn't want to give her too much.  It seemed to make her happier during feedings, easier to burp, and less spit up but then we started having the constipation and that was the only thing we could think of that we had done differently leading up to that. I want to go back and try it again but DH doesn't want to.

• Thanks ladies :) Glad to know I am not the only one experiencing this with my child even though all babies are different!
  • imageeml569:
    Gripe water does the exact opposite to my kid...anytime he gets it, he poops a ton the next day. We use the Little Tummies brand.

This! In face, my pedi told me to be careful with it because it can cause loose stools and dehydration.

Camryn Grace ~ July 6th, 2009 ~ 7lbs 9oz, 20.5" Lilypie Third Birthday tickers image
    Brayden Richard Drew ~ December 20, 2010~7lbs 9oz, 20" Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"