Oklahoma Babies

Maybe moving to Oklahoma???

Can anyone please help me out?  My husband has been asked by this guy he knows on a website (he has met him once) if he would move us all to Oklahoma and run a facility that he was going to open in Oklahoma City.  We are from Michigan and live just outside of Detroit.  I keep telling my husband no because everything we know if here but, the economy is BAD.  He hates his job, I like mine to a point.  But down there i know nothing, nobody, and nowhere.  I am sorry I take that back I have met his friend once also.  But from what I here I will be terrified part of the time.  I hate Tornadoes!!! I go to my basement when I here the sirens now and we have never even had one come close to us.  Our city is down a little so they don't even come close.  We would have no family, I have a 3 yr old and I am due October 27th.  My husband has 2 kids that come every other weekend, they would not be able to come.  I keep telling him no because I am really torn. I know change is good but....

so can anyone help me out??

Are there any good websites to give me a little insight?

Re: Maybe moving to Oklahoma???

• Well, I live in OKLAHOMA, and it's pretty cool here. Cold winters, HOT summers, tornadoes here and there, but overall a nice place to raise a family. I live on the South Side of OKC, there are good school districts here. You can go to okc.gov and look around a little bit. Let me know if you have any other questions. The economy here is pretty great, it has hit us, but we are ranked #1 in the economy proof city. Hope this helps.

Go to google.com and looks up okc in photos.

• When you say cold winters, what do you mean cold?  How cold? do you mean 30, 0, or -0?  Here in Michigan it is nothing to hit - numbers in the winter.
  • Loading the player...
  • HI I've lived in Oklahoma all my life.

My cousins just moved back to OK from Michigan... Oklahoma Winter's dont even compare to Michigan :)  We get in the single digits maybe below zero a few weeks but thats pretty extreme deep winter... We get ice more than snow... if we get a pretty snow fall enjoy it while it lasts, as its normally followed with above freezing temps and melts quickly!

Where would your husbands job be located maybe we could tell you a little about that part of the city? Is it Northwest, South, Southeast, Downtown? Edmond, Moore, Norman, Midwest City?

What type of website do you want about the city? 

Downtown is mostly about bricktown, - https://www.bricktownokc.com/

the https://okc.gov/ is good if you're going to live in OKC and not a suburb? 

Local Hospitals

Integris Baptist Medical Center - in NW OKC

Mercy Hostipal - in Far NW OKC

St. Anthony Hospital - Downtown

OU Medical Center - East Side of Downtown

Tell us more and I bet we can help! :)

• My husband is a Tow truck Driver and this guy he knows has a business already, he wants to open another facility near OKC.  He is in Seminole right now.  So we would want to be somewhere near there.  As for what side I am not sure.  Are there any areas that we would not want to be? Like here we have some areas that I wouldn't tell people to move into.  We are not rich..This job is making more money than he does now but at first I wouldn't have a job and my mom would be moving with us sooo........ I need  some where that is not to rich like grosse pointe or west bloomfield but not Detroit either.(I am in Eastpointe a 1/2 mile from Detroit now)  As far as the location part we will find out morre about this the last weekend in Sept. There is a tow show in Ohio every year and that is where we are going to have a meeting wth his friend about all that it entails and everything that goes with it to help with our decision as to if we are going to make the move.  I guess there isn't much that you can tell me until  can tell you where at, right?  But any info would be great.  I have been trying to find websites to help tell me a little about each city around there.  I was on city-data.

We would probably make the move around March.

• I will tell you that the Southeast side of OKC is not great.  Like most cities anywhere, there are parts where there is a really nice neighborhood and then one block over it starts to get crappy.  Areas like Moore are relatively nice.  Mustang is a great place to live too because it's cheaper than Oklahoma City but close enough to the city that it's not so isolated.  Pretty good highway access anywhere you live without it looking like Dallas or something  Overall, central Oklahoma is great because it's not all crammed together.  The summers can get into the 100's but i don't think it ever really goes past 105 and that only lasts like a day or 2.  We usually have some sort of ice storm in January/February, but like stated earlier, the next day it's above freezing again.  It rarely drops lower than the 20's during winter.  And we don't have tornados here every other day like most outsiders believe we do.  It helps that the news stations have advanced satellite systems that give you plenty of warning.  If there's any complaints about the state, it's the roads.  Just be sure your car has good struts because they just don't know how to keep roads fixed around here. 

As far as the recession, i don't think our cost of living has been affected all that much.  We're pretty much recession-proof. 

let me know if you have any more questions!  good luck with everything!

• imageneenee03:

My husband is a Tow truck Driver and this guy he knows has a business already, he wants to open another facility near OKC.  He is in Seminole right now.  So we would want to be somewhere near there.  As for what side I am not sure.  Are there any areas that we would not want to be? Like here we have some areas that I wouldn't tell people to move into.  We are not rich..This job is making more money than he does now but at first I wouldn't have a job and my mom would be moving with us sooo........ I need  some where that is not to rich like grosse pointe or west bloomfield but not Detroit either.(I am in Eastpointe a 1/2 mile from Detroit now)  As far as the location part we will find out morre about this the last weekend in Sept. There is a tow show in Ohio every year and that is where we are going to have a meeting wth his friend about all that it entails and everything that goes with it to help with our decision as to if we are going to make the move.  I guess there isn't much that you can tell me until  can tell you where at, right?  But any info would be great.  I have been trying to find websites to help tell me a little about each city around there.  I was on city-data.

We would probably make the move around March.

You might want to go look at towns near Seminole on Mapquest. Seminole is like over an hour away from OKC and that seems like a drive to me for your husband every day. Shawnee is a pretty good town near there.

• Seminole is a good small town.  Here is a link that will give you all sorts of information on it.  https://oklahoma.hometownlocator.com/ok/seminole/seminole.cfm#14

If your husband will be working out of Seminole then I would say that Seminole or Shawnee would be your best bets.  Real estate is fair there too.  But that is true of almost all of Oklahoma, you generally tend to get more bang for the buck here.  There has an influx of retirees moving to Oklahoma because the cost of living is so great.

Shawnee is fairly close to Seminole and a little bigger.  I-44 is the major interstate running from OKC to Shawnee/Seminole.

Overall Oklahoma is a great state.  You will find some of the nicest people here.  I will say that with Oklahoma being in the "Bible Belt' we are a little behind on times but in some ways it can be nice.

Our economy is doing very well considering the national scare.

Hope this helps.

• Hola, Renee!

I agree with the previous posts. Oklahoma isn't bad at all. I mean, I moved here in 2000 while in high school. We lived in McLoud then (about 45ish? minutes east of OKC), and since then I've lived in McLoud, Midwest City, Oklahoma City (where I went to college) and Moore. I prefer the suburbs to the bigger city because it's just nicer. I presently live in Moore, which is booming and growing, much like Edmond, Norman and Midwest City.

As far as Seminole goes, it has one of my favorite children's museums: The Jasmine Moran Children's Museum. I've taken my sisters there before (they're 9 and 15 and moved to Florida last year, but before, I've taken them!). It's great fun.

I agree also that Shawnee would be a better bet as far as living goes. I've not lived in Seminole, so I don't know what the grocery/hospital/shopping scene is like, but a slightly larger town will have more of a selection, know what I mean? McLoud is just outside of Shawnee, so when I lived there, I did all of my shopping in Shawnee. :)

I doubt highly my post has helped, but I wanted to at least give you insight from someone who moved here, too. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"