High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

SUA and steriod shots for lung development

For those of you who delivered a baby with a Single Umbilical Artery (or those expecting), did you receive steriod shots to help boost the development of your baby's lungs?

If so, was it a one time dose or was it given in increments? Just curious. My OB (not my Peri - who I see next week) just mentioned I would receive a steriod shot at 28 weeks.

Thanks

Re: SUA and steriod shots for lung development

• Options

Hi there!  My baby did not have SUA, but I got the steroid shot for each of my pregnancies (to help my baby's lungs develop) because I delivered prematurely.

The steroid shot is given only once, but it's given in 2 doses.  You will get the original dose from the doctor and then you get the second dose 24 hours later.   That's it!

My doctor told me that they didn't give a steroid shot more than once because the risks to the baby increase and may outweigh the benefits with too much of the drug.

Good luck to you!

• Options

Our baby also does not have SUA, but we were given steroid shots for lung development due to the likelihood that we will deliver preterm. ?We got two shots, one at 24 weeks and one at 25 weeks. ?

Good luck!?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have isolated SUA so there are no other signs of abnormalities and my pg is being treated as a normal pg that is expected to go full term -so no steroid shot for me. It would make sense in your case since you are having twins though and will probably deliver early regardless.
  • Options
    I have an SUA and we will get the steroid shot only if things progress in a negative direction. There is no plan to give the shot simply based on the SUA, at this point. I do remember cases where people have received the dose more than once (2 shots per dose). I think it is when it was given early in a pg and then again a little later when the mom makes it farther... Andrea would be a great person to answer whether it is ever given twice.
  • Options

I did but it was unrelated to the SUA.  I was having pre term contractions and pre-e so I got the steroid shots at 34 weeks.  I got 2 shots over 2 days.

Had I not had preterm contractions or pre-e I would not have gotten them. 

That seems odd if SUA is the only issue in your pregnancy. Do they plan on inducing early? 

• Options
    imagescorpio72:

I did but it was unrelated to the SUA.  I was having pre term contractions and pre-e so I got the steroid shots at 34 weeks.  I got 2 shots over 2 days.

Had I not had preterm contractions or pre-e I would not have gotten them. 

That seems odd if SUA is the only issue in your pregnancy. Do they plan on inducing early? 

One twin died at 17 weeks. He also had an SUA. (My Peri has never seen both twins having an SUA in his career). With the demise of Baby A (and his body lying on my cervix), I think there is real concern that my body will try to deliver soon, possibly putting Baby B in danger.

Kari

• Options
    Kari, I am so glad to see you have made it to 26 weeks.  Hoping and praying your Baby B starts in-utero for several more weeks. 
  • Options

imageBarefootContess:
    Kari, I am so glad to see you have made it to 26 weeks.  Hoping and praying your Baby B starts in-utero for several more weeks. 

Hey there BFC, thanks for the note. Every week is a victory! Yes

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"