3rd Trimester

flea treatments while pregnant?

So I know I've seen this one here, but it's not very often so I'm just gonna ask anyway.

I just noticed a single flea in the house, haven't seen the cat scratching or them on her at all, i think my neighbor who has 2 dogs and 2 cats may have brought it in today when he visited, but anyway... I want to treat before it gets bad. 

I've read that advantage is safe to use, the drops kind, while I'm pregnant and that you shouldn't need to spray the house because any fleas will eventually get to my cat and will then die off. 

Google isn't helping much, or my search terms suck, and I can't call the vet or buy meds until the AM - anyone dealt with fleas since being pregnant and used advantage? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: flea treatments while pregnant?

• I don't use Advantage but I do use something called Comfortis that I get from the vet. It's kind of expensive but works really well. I give it to my dogs once a month- just like their heartworm pill. It's a chewable thing- not a spray or drops. This does nothing to answer your question- sorry! I was just letting you know how we control fleas. Good luck- hopefully someone can help with the Advantage question.
  • We treat our 4 dogs with the Advantage drops that goes on behind their necks. Supposed to do it monthly, but we often stretch it out. Have done it twice since being pg- no issues! If you're worried- get someone else to apply it or wear gloves. The drops were the only thing that got rid of a bad problem that we had last year!
  • Loading the player...
  • I give my cat Revolution and it's wonderful.  You have to get it from the vet.
  • Ive worked at a vet my entire pregnancy, thus coming into contact with various flea products. So far so good. I dont know about the house treatment stuff, just wash your hands after using the topical stuff. Otherwise Im nearly positive its safe.
  • I use Comfortis, as well. It was about $70 for a 6 month supply from my vet - but I'd rather have my dog taking a pill than running around with poison on her back once LO is here. Just not safe...
  • We used Frontline and /i just washed my hands really good afterwards and then we left the cat outside for at least 24 hrs and everything has been fine.
  • Thanks ladies, it's nice to get a few more options.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Frontline, Advantage and Revolution would all be just fine for your cat(Comfortis is for dogs only).  They are all approved for use in pregnant animals and are very safe to use around people since they act on the insect nervous system only-we just don't have the receptors in our bodies to respond/recognize these drugs.  I would definitely avoid all household treatments though-there's a reason the label warns you to leave the house or avoid the area until it dries.  Even though I'm a vet and know that my Frontline is safe, I still make DH apply it-  (hey-he has to step up a little-he won't even clean the litterboxes!)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"