Pennsylvania Babies
Options

Breastfeeding Questions

If you pumped and bottle fed breastmilk, do you remember how much your child was eating per feeding at different ages?  Right now Carina has only had a bottle a few times but she tends to take 4-5 oz per feeding.  I'm wondering how quickly that will increase.

Right now she is eating every 3 hours during the day and I'll wake her to feed her if she's asleep.  How often was your child breastfeeding at 2 months of age?  When did that change?

One more - I'm going back to work the end of this month.  Did you have any trouble pumping at work?  Did your supply suffer?  Any tips for making breastfeeding work for a working mom?

Thanks ladies!

Re: Breastfeeding Questions

• Options

The most Adam ever took from a bottle, BM or formula, during the day was 6 oz. every 3 hours. Eventually he could do 8 right before bed and 7-8 when he got up, but even at a year old, 6 oz. mid-day was the max. I went back and forth with breastfeeding, pumped milk and formula for the first four months, and he was going every 3 hours basically until we started solids.

I didn't really try hard to pump at work. I work 3 days a week, so I'd pump when I went home for lunch, but didn't even attempt to pump at work. My supply was starting to go down during this time, but at 4 months I got very sick with a very high fever for a week. I had no supply after that.

• Options

DS only took 4oz for a long time.  I think he increased to 6oz around 6 months or so, but never really got above that.  Once DS was sleeping through the night (around 3.5 to 4 months) he ate 6x a day.  Around 6 months we bumped that down to 5x a day and around 8 months he dropped to 4x a day.  That's where we are now. 

I only worked part time from 6 weeks on, but I ended up getting my first period when he was 12 weeks old.  My supply would totally tank right before AF, and increased immediate after.  At 6 months the increase after AF never happened and I started using Fenugreek.  I don't know that I really noticed a huge increase, but I do think it helped a little.  At 10 months I had to start supplementing with formula 2 of the 4 daily feedings, but nursed the AM and PM feeding.  Just last night at 10.5 months, he completely rejected the night feeding, so we're on all formula now.  I really think that it was working and pumping that caused my supply issues.  I don't know what you can do to prevent it other than pumping a lot!

I hope things work better for you.  Good luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Up until he started refusing bottles about a month or so ago Ethan was taking 4oz.  I think if he were still taking them now he'd be up to 6oz b/c that is what I've been pumping. 

At two months Ethan was eating every 2-3 hours but I wasn't waking him to eat.  That hasn't changed much.  He still nurses every 2-3 hours.  Sometimes he'll go 4 or more though.

I haven't had trouble pumping (knock on wood) but I started pumping once a day when E was only a few weeks old to build my (sadly lost) freezer stash.  I think it helped me that my body was used to responding to the pump daily.  My LC suggested that I pump every 3 hours so I did that when I first started back to work.  After a few weeks, if I had to, then I would go 4-5 hours between pumping sessions. 

Good luck!!!

{Blog}
    TTC since Jan 07. Dx with PCOS Jan 08 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I don't remember very well re: your first two questions.  I did have trouble pumping at work, mainly because I just couldn't get my left side emptied with the pump. I'd always get 3-4 times the amount out of the right side.  MY left side would start to ache and feel full if I was away from her all day because she could just get so much more out than the pump. There wasn't much I could do about it except not work more than 5-6 hours.  The thing that made it work best was giving some formula so I didn't have to be so stressed about having enough BM for all the time I wasn't there!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"