Minnesota Babies

Unity or Mercy? Where do I deliver...

I am trying to make a decision on where to deliver. I have tried to find information on both hospitals birthing centers and cannot find any feedback from blogs, discussions etc. My doctors says to go to which ever I like or feel most comfortable. Anyone delivered at either of these hospitals?What was your experiance?  Which hospital is better?

Steph

Re: Unity or Mercy? Where do I deliver...

• I delivered at Mercy and liked it, I may be bias though because I work there also...
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • I delivered at Mercy and had a positive experience. I know several of the labor and delivery nurses, so I felt surrounded by caring people. I don't know anything about Unity so no comment.

We were living in Ramsey when I delivered, and now live in Blaine. Mercy is very close.  Good Luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • mmsgalmmsgal member
    I also delivered at Mercy. I thought they were great. Wonderful nurses and doctors. The room was nice and the food wasn't too bad wither.
  • I delivered at Mercy and loved it. It was quiet, quick and protected. There is only one way to the baby level and that's through the elevator. The stairs are locked. (My sister tried to take it for exercise and had to go all the way down again) I went in at 2am and was in my bed (you go through triage first so they can make sure you're ready) by 2:10...given I was 8cm already...I also was in a room next to very loud people but couldn't hear them unless I was in the hallway. They also check on you but not too much. The nurses I had were very kind and respectful. You have your own bathroom and closet to store stuff. They are also very good about waiting to take vitals until visitors are gone. The food is good too (at least I thought) - you get lots of options.

My cousin delivered at Unity and although a lot was similar, she said she would have rather delivered at Mercy. She said it seemed nicer and the nurses were better. Hers were pushy although depending upon your mood during labor at Mercy they could be pushy too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I work at Mercy so I'm biased but I try and like to think that our patients go away with a postitve expericences.

If you like to not be bothered wheather you go with Mercy or Unity make sure you tell your RN to check on you every-so-often or just call out when you need something because at both hospitals Allina has started an hourly rounding check....where every hour we come to check to see if you or the baby need anything.

• Both of my 2 nieces and my nephew were born at Mercy, along with numerous friends' babies and all had positive experiences.  The rooms are nice and big and it's a very warm and friendly environment.  I would be delivering there as well, but switched clinics, so now I'm delivering where my MIL works (North Memorial).
  • I'll be the odd one out and say Unity hands down. I hate Mercy, JMO
    imageimage

9/24/2011 Plymouth Firefighters 5k: 47:13
    11/12/2011 Diva Dash 5k: 45:45
    5/5/2012 STEM school 5k TBD Coming up in 2012:
    6/10/2012 Walk to Remember SIDS foundation 5k
    (in memory of a sweet baby boy)
    11/10/2012 Diva Dash 5k
  • I LOVE LOVE LOVE Unity!  I had my first 2 there and will be having #3 there as well.  The staff is great (well, there was one batty old bag but I'm pretty sure she's retired now,) the food was good, the rooms are all private, and everything else I can think of was great!  I've never had good experiences at Mercy- no matter why I was there- my sis, my friends in the ER, my friend having a baby...  Always something that didn't go well.  Mercy is newer, Unity has more resturants and shopping nearby.  Mercy has larger rooms but I prefered Unity's smaller rooms so that I wasn't overcome with visitors.  At Mercy you labor, deliver, and recover all in the same room (or at least my friend did) but I prefered Unity where you labor and deliver in one room (and recoup for about an hour) then get moved to another wing (the women's wing) where it is MUCH quieter, to recover for the rest of your stay.  Unity was recently renovated and the security is great.  =)
  • there isnt' enough money in the world for me to deliver at unity
  • I wouldn't go to either.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I loved Mercy.  The nurses were awesome and my doctors were great!  I ended up needing an emergency c-section and they were fabulous through it all.  I would deliver there again.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"