Preemies

Our Little Miracle - 29 week birth story (repost from 3rd tri)

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Hello All - I delivered my beautiful little Evelyn Juliana at 29 weeks (3 three days ago).  I never experienced any problems during my pregnancy.  I was told that I did not suffer from any issues that could cause premature labor and/or problems with my baby.

That being said, this past Thursday (July 23rd), I began to notice what I thought was an extremely watery discharge.  It was clear, but did not cause me any discomfort or pain.  I had a regularly scheduled appointment the next morning, so I decided to wait.  The next day, I went in and after having a normal checkup (no internal), I was asked if I had any concerns.  I told my OB that I had an increase in watery discharge.  She asked if there was any cramping or contracting, to which I responded no.  She felt that it wasn't necessary to check and told me that it was 'normal'.  I went on to work and did not concern myself with it again.

Around 2:00, I started to feel some discomfort and decided to leave work early.  I left at 3:00, telling work that I would hop back online again for work at about 6:00 pm.  Everything seemed normal until about 9:00 pm when I started to feel what I thought were gas pains.  They were very low pains, around my bladder area, and my stomach didn't feel as though it was tightening the way that a normal contraction would be described.  By 10:00 or so, I was in a lot of pain and the 'cramps' were about 5 minutes apart.  When I started to cry, my husband called the emergency number.  My OB happened to be the on-call doctor and had me go in right away.

When I arrived, it took the nurses about 20 minutes to get me into a gown and a room.  The doctor did a swab test to test whether the fluid was amniotic fluid and it indeed was.  They then pulled in an ultrasound machine to see how much fluid was around the baby.  It turned out that the fluid amount was relatively high so they believed that it was only a high tear and that I would be able to heal with bed-rest.  I would, however, not be leaving the hospital until the baby was born.  I was on indefintite bed-rest and best case scenario was that I would deliver at 34 weeks.

I could live with that news - so long as my baby was ok.  I was started on Terbutaline to delay premature labor and was given two steriod shots about 12 hours apart to help with Eveylyn's lung development, should she be born early.  The terbutaline did not work.  My contractions kept coming.  It is now about 4:00 am on Saturday morning (July 25th). Then at about 7:00 that morning, I was hit with a really strong contrraction - the kind that make your eyes water - and I began to gush amniotic fluid.  I was so scared and the nurses seemed unconcerned.  I was told "What do you want us to do?  If the baby decides to come, there's nothing we can do about it".  I was not happy with that statement, but I had no recourse.  They know more than I do about this.

I was then started on a magnesium sulfate IV drip.  I was told that if this did not work, the baby would be coming.  I was given a quick run down of the side effects, but apparently, I should have paid more attention.  I was stable until about 2:00 am the next morning when I woke up unable to breathe.  When they checked my oxygination level, they found that it was down to 80.  I was not getting enough oxygen for me or the baby.  At this point, if I were to deliver, I would most likely not survive the surgery. 

I was then put on immediate oxygen treatments had constant oxygen masks on.  The baby was stable, but the heartrate was a bit erratic.  They couldn't deliver until I felt stronger though.  Eventually, I was back under control and they started to feed me regular food.  I was told that as long as I was eating regular food, that there was no threat of delivery.  By now, it is July 28th and I feel good.

I was eating my lunch at about 6:00 (they served me some filet mignon which I thought was funny) when the nurse rushes in and asks me if I?m eating.  I said, yes.  She said, stop and that I was being delivered now!  My husband had just left to go run some errands and I had to call him back to tell him that I was being delivered.  I asked what happened and they said that the baby suffered some increased amounts of heart rate drops and needed to come out.

At 6:55 p.m.  Evelyn Juliana was born by cesarean section.

The delivery was apparently very difficult as they had to use resuscitative methods for about 40 minutes on her to stabilize her.  The amniotic fluid level was so low that she was lodged behind my bladder making it difficult to get her out.  They broke her clavicle in doing so and also bruised her very badly.  I was oblivious to what was going on.

When they finally got me to the recovery room, I began to bleed out and had to get 3 pints of blood infused to keep me going.

This was the most difficult experience of my life and not having her with me is so hard.  I visit her daily and am pumping to get her some much needed colostrum and pre-milk.  I hope to have her home by late September or early October.

I just want to thank you all for being such a great source of information and support over the past few months and thank you for reading my story.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Our Little Miracle - 29 week birth story (repost from 3rd tri)

• Hello!  Welcome to the sisterhood of preemie moms!

I have a 29 weeker due to pPROM also.  She was in the NICU for 7 weeks but had no real problems.  She was a "feeder/grower".  She is 4 1/2 months old now (2 months adjusted) and she is doing great. 

The fact that you got the steriods is great.   Those steriods are a miracle.

This board moves a little slow but the girls here are great.  Good luck to you and your little one.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What a roller coaster already! I'm sorry you've had to join us, but I too wanted to welcome you and say congratulations! I hope your NICU stay is short and your little darling is home in your arms where she belongs very soon.

good luck and let the board know if you need to vent, brag, or have any questions!

• Loading the player...
  • Wow, that is quite a story!  I'm so sorry both you and her had to go through all of that!  Keep pumping and visiting her and don't forget to rest in between!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • AidgeAidge member
    Wow, what a story! I too had no complications until I delivered Sam at 29 and 6, and he is a happy, joyful, BIG boy (and we had no time for steriod shots).  He was in the NICU for 7 weeks and came home at 37weeks GA.  Good luck to you, and I love your LO's name! 
  • Wow! That gave me chills. Bless your heart, you and your baby  have been through so much the last few days. I can't believe they broke her clavicle! How scary!! This is a great board and these women are a wealth of knowledge and comfort. Please keep us updated on how you and your little one are doing!
  • ::Hugs:: Our little man was born on 7/28 at 34w5d and is also still in the NICU. I'll be praying for you as you handle NICU mommy-ing with your recovery (it's been hard for me too, and we're not sure when he might come home yet).
  • Wow, I am so sorry - that must have been so scary. I had a very long time to prepare for the early arrival of my babies - and I believe that's what helped me get through the NICU time. It must be so hard thinking everything is going well and having to deliver your baby all of a sudden. I just wanted to say that I delivered my twins at 30w0d - so just a week gestationally after yours. They were very little (2lbs6oz and 2lbs12oz) and one was pretty sick when she was born. They did great in the NICU and Special Care Nursery and came home 7 weeks later - almost a month before we thought they would. I pray the same will be true for your little one.
  • WOW, I am so sorry for your traumatic experience.

Congrats on the birth of your little girl!

Please keep us updated and come here any time.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"