Two Under 2

Daycare for 2--now I'm depressed....

So, I just talked to my son's daycare to figure out what discount they offer for having 2 kids at the school.  I love his daycare center.  I love my job. But oh my goodness now I'm depressed.  Having 2 under 2 is going to get expensive quick!! 

(I've dealt with infertility so I'm thankful to have any children at all so please don't flame me that I'm an ungrateful hag!)

Re: Daycare for 2--now I'm depressed....

• Daycare for two will be more than our mortgage. That is insane to me. I thought about being a SAHM but giving up my income doesn't make sense even with the doubling daycare cost.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • CHI-06CHI-06 member
    yeah we only get a 10% discount on #2... it is going to be SOOO expenisve!!!  We have been trying to save as much as we can now!
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep.  DH just did this calculation for our budget and the money we'll spend in the next year is disgusting...but i still make more, so no SAHM for me :(
  • It was a little different for me because I wasnt in love with DS day care center....but we switched him. The center was going to give us a 10% discount, but it was still going to be 2/3 of my pay to have 2 kids there (and that is only 3 days a week). We found a GREAT in home day care that we love, and DS loves that is so much cheaper. Right now we are saving $70 a WEEK while it is just DS there. Then when we add DS#2 it will be costing us about the same for both of them that we were paying for 2 at the center. And this place provides breakfast, lunch and two snacks. We had to provide that at the center, so really we are saving even more than that. I know you love your center, but it could be worth looking into other options so you dont break the bank, and your DC may love it there too.
  • I would love to send two (when I have 2) but as the previous poster put it, that would equal my mortgage.  I just can't afford it.  It is so damn depressing.  It's honestly the only reason I am not pregnant already.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • There is no discount offered for 2 at my center either.  Its onsite at my work and so worth the $$$ to get to see them all the time.  I am just not cut out to SAH, my job is my sanity.  So we are prepared for what my paychecks are about to become, but its not pretty.

• It is sick it realy is. With a discount (us being related to the daycare owner), we pay $440.00/ 4 weeks for our daughter. To send both children it will equal to be $880.00/ 4 weeks. Thats just shy of what we pay in rent per month. This will take up aprox 70%  of my monthly pay and the rest will go to my car note and ins. DH will have to cover the rest with his income.  So sad! But my babies are worth every penny!!!
  • Oh our center gives us a discount for the 2nd kid and I get a discount since I work for a school district....but it is still a LOT of money. 

Like I said though, I love my job.  Plus I carry the medical insurance for our family.  (My DH works for a small business so they don't provide medical)

I just think the price of daycare is crazy.  Maybe I should look into opening one--it'll be my new get rich quick scheme :):):) 

• I know. I pay $1500 for my 2 kids, and that's very reasonable here.
  • PeskyPesky member
    I hear you!!!  Our daycare costs are going to be on par with our mortgage.  Kind of puts a damper on thoughts of a #3 so we'll have to see.  Even at that cost though, financially it still makes more sense for us both to keep working.

DD -- 5YO
    DS -- 3YO

• For us, having a $10/hour nanny (that's the going rate around here) will actually be cheaper than it would be to have both kids in daycare.  That might be an alternative to think about.  
    imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Like others here, I know how you feel....I'm embarrassed to say that our day care costs will exceed our mortgage!  We're moving our daughter to a new center next week that offers 10% off the entire tuition cost (not just one child).  I was so sad to have to move her - I love where she is now and it's super convenient because it's in my work building. 

Staying home is not an option for me but even if it was, I don't think I would do it. My daughter has thrived at daycare, loves playing with the other kids, other toys, and is learning tons.  I miss her a lot during the day, though.

The bottom line is, we're tightening our belt every where else (as soon as I can wear a belt again, that is).  We live in a city and there are few affordable, safe and available options here. 

I'm just glad to be having another girl..she will have tons of hand-me-downs!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"