3rd Trimester

Having a serious discussion with DH tomorrow....

I am just so disappointed with him and his immaturity and lack of respect for me right now.  I have always thought that he has a minor drinking problem, but it's really starting to bother me now. 

I was already a little upset with him today.....around 9:30 this morning while at my desk, I was having some lower back pain and some contractions that were slightly painful.  I only had 3 and they were around 20 mins apart.  So I texted him and told him what was going on.  He is a lineman and I usually text him rather than call since his line of work can be dangerous and I don't want to distract him.  Can you believe he didn't text me back for 3 hours?  Granted if things escalated I would've blown his phone up, but still!  So he texted me with "sorry babe, is everything ok?"....i just responded with "i'm fine".  I was pretty irritated.

So my boss let me leave an hour early because he is deathly afraid of me giving birth at work, LOL....and could tell how uncomfortable i was.  So around 4 pm I was on my way home and called him.  He was in a bar with some coworkers.  Okay....so his wife had contractions today, so he decides to go have some beer.  Smart.  I figured it was just maybe for a beer or 2 and then he would be home.  3 hours later he show up home, and I could tell he had more than just 1 or 2.  

So we go to dinner with some friends and i asked him while we were in the parking lot if he could take it easy and not drink any more just in case.  He said of course and gave me a hug, which was nice.  What does he do when the waitress takes our drink order?  Thats right, more beer.  WTF.  And I can't lay into him in front of our friends....so i just look at him.  3 beers later and he is pretty much wasted.  And loud, and i'm just embarrassed.

We get home and I am livid.  WTF am I supposed to do if I need to go to the hospital?  Drive myself so my husband doesn't get a freaking DUI?  I just feel like I can't rely on him!!!!  What is so bad about spending a Friday or Saturday night NOT drinking beer?  I know he lied to my face about how much beer he had after work.  He said 3, but there is NO WAY.  I've known this man for close to 12 years and I know how he handles alcohol. 

I can't argue with him about it now, because he is just so irrational when he is drunk and makes no sense at all.  He is pretty much passed out on the couch now and I intend on leaving his a** there when I go to bed soon.  But tomorrow morning I am having a serious conversation about this.  This is just unacceptable to me!  It makes me feel like he needs beer to make his life with me better??  I know that's not true, but that's how it makes me feel.  He truly is a great husband when he is SOBER!  That's who i like being around and spending time with.  And that is who i want in the delivery room with me!  

I could just cry right now.  Not sure if it's hormones, but I just feel so disrespected.  :(

Re: Having a serious discussion with DH tomorrow....

• I'm sorry you are having to deal with this...you are right to feel the way you do.  It seems like he's being very irresponsible.  Hold your ground when you talk to him - I wish you luck!

• Sounds like he has an alcohol problem.  I'm not sure if you really want him there when you deliver.  He may end up going out to celebrate and then who's suppose to drive you and LO home?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • yep we are in the same boat don't get me wrong mine works and I'm a stay at home mom, he brings in the money to pay the bills I appreciate that but seriously now that we are having more complications with this pregnancy and we are getting close to D day he told me he wouldn't drink during the week meaning Monday thru Friday and what has he done every d**n day this week plus tonight I feel extremely disrespected and here I am in pain and agony. I don't mind the weekend drinking of a 6 pack but everyday he has had a 6 pack of Corona plus at least 2 24oz. Corona's well tonight he just hadn't had enough so when I went to get dinner he said stop by the store I stopped and he got 2 more 24oz. Corona's which makes a 6 pk. of Corona plus 3 24oz. Corona's I am so fed up and irritated with him! I have no family here they all live out of state so if I am in need to go to the hospital I will have to call the ambulance and tell them my husband is too drunk to drive me and my 4 year old safely to the hospital! Ugh...I wish he would realize and get the big picture. GL on getting through to your DH tomm. Best of luck for the days to come! 

P.S. Sorry I kinda vented and it is long Embarrassed

• I would just lay it out and tell him straight up (tomorrow, when he's sober and you've gotten how you want to word it worked out) - "Its clearly coming to the point where I can't trust you to be a sober ride to the hospital when I'm in labor, so unless this drinking is completely done for the rest of the pregnancy, I'm not going to be calling you to let you know it's time. I'll get someone else I can rely on. Not only do I need a sober ride, but I don't need your drunk ass driving and getting hurt on my conscience. I'll leave a note on the fridge to let you know I'm at the hospital delivering your child that you couldn't quit drinking for 3 weeks for. I'll let the hospital staff know to not let you in if you appear in any way intoxicated."

Then again, I can be a bit of a *** when it comes to making people own up to their responsibilities. 

• I'm normally a lurker on the prego boards, but...  when baby comes it is a TWO person job.  And one of the two CAN NOT do the job drunk, or even buzzed.  He needs to stop now because when baby comes...  and mine came at 36 weeks, you'll need a sober DH.

• It's not hormones, you have every right to be pissed. I can't believe he's acting like that. Chances are he's trying to live it up before the baby comes, but that's no excuse for being irresponsible. If I were you I'd have the talk but also have a backup driver (friend, relative) in case your DH is drunk when you go into labor. The last thing you need is that crap when you're in pain. GL!
    Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • Oh girl I totally understand!  My husband's father is an alcoholic and my husband went through a period when he couldn't go out anywhere without getting hammered.  I was not even pregnant at this time so I can imagine how upset and hurt you are right now.  I wouldn't try to talk to him about it right now but tom. I would have a serious talk with him and maybe even suggest going to talk to someone.  I finally had to pretty much give hum an ultimatum (sp?).  After going to talk to a doctor he found out that he had some anxiety/depression issues and they started him on medicine.  Now he can (for the most part) go out and have a drink or two and stop at that.  I definately would not let him get away with this anymore.  He is about to be a father, this isn't fun time at the fraternity house!  Just be strong and no matter how much he tries to make you think you're over reacting-YOU'RE NOT!  This is ridiculous...you are about to have a baby and you can't even rely on him!  Good luck!  let us know how it goes!
  • Sounds like he needs some professional counseling to help him deal with his drinking (if this is a regular thing). And communication is key!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I am so sorry you have to go through this. Unfortunately i know how you feel. My DH was a huge drinker and back on superbowl Sunday he over did it. It got to the point where I wouldn't even step foot in the house and I ended up staying the night at a friends. I knew that this could not happen again so I told him that was it. I was done and I would do just fine raising a baby by myself. Well he must of had one of "those" moments and ever since then his drinking has been almost absent. I'm very thankful he has almost stopped (a beer or two a week now). I hope everything works out for you and your DH snaps out of it and realizes how important you and LO are. I wish you the best of luck!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Awww hun I'm so sorry you're dealing with this on top of a stressful (yet wonderful) time in your lives.

Good luck with everything. Hugs!

• That is tough. I would have told the waitress to get him just water since you are that far along. I mean come on the baby could here any day now. He doesnt have to carry the baby but this is the least he can do. Have the talk and try to be rational. 
  • imagetrooper346:

I would just lay it out and tell him straight up (tomorrow, when he's sober and you've gotten how you want to word it worked out) - "Its clearly coming to the point where I can't trust you to be a sober ride to the hospital when I'm in labor, so unless this drinking is completely done for the rest of the pregnancy, I'm not going to be calling you to let you know it's time. I'll get someone else I can rely on. Not only do I need a sober ride, but I don't need your drunk ass driving and getting hurt on my conscience. I'll leave a note on the fridge to let you know I'm at the hospital delivering your child that you couldn't quit drinking for 3 weeks for. I'll let the hospital staff know to not let you in if you appear in any way intoxicated."

Then again, I can be a bit of a *** when it comes to making people own up to their responsibilities. 

Thank you.  :)  Everything you just said is exactly what I want to say!  

• imagedragon_chica:
    Sounds like he has an alcohol problem.  I'm not sure if you really want him there when you deliver.  He may end up going out to celebrate and then who's suppose to drive you and LO home?

Uhhmm...while I would also be super ticked...this post seems a bit extreme for the amount of information you have on the situation.

• imagefiremansflame:

imagedragon_chica:
    Sounds like he has an alcohol problem.  I'm not sure if you really want him there when you deliver.  He may end up going out to celebrate and then who's suppose to drive you and LO home?

Uhhmm...while I would also be super ticked...this post seems a bit extreme for the amount of information you have on the situation.

Agreed, but I just let it go.....

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"