Preemies

another new premie mom with questions

Hi!

Our baby boy, Jack, joined us early on 7/30/09 at 34 weeks and 5 days.  He's huge for his GA- 6lbs 3 oz but his body is definatley acting like a preemie.  He's been in the special care nursery (step down from NICU) since birth.   He's had a great day so far- he's maintaining his own temp and is off of oxygen- he just won't eat.

Reading through the boards- I've seen lots of great questions that I never would have thought to ask.  How did you know what to even ask the doctors?  The sheer amount of medical terms and information we've heard in the past 48 hours has been overwhelming.  The nurses have been fantastic- but it feels like they are usually just telling us what's going on and how things are going to happen.  I found out he had been getting antibiotics and why about 12 hours after they had been given....I want to trust that they are doing what's best for our baby, and we are in a top rated hospital- but the doctors that are caring for him now aren't the ones we researched/interviewed/picked...sorry if this is rambling- but any advice would be wonderful!

Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: another new premie mom with questions

• I'm right there with you on this one and since I'm new I don't have much advice.  Our LO is 1 week old and was born at 34 weeks 1 day weighing 7 lbs 2 oz.  It's so deceiving because he looks full term but has all the 34 week issues.  He's still in the NICU and has been weaned off oxygen, IVs, antibiotics, and out of the incubator.  Feeding seems to be our big issue.  I never have questions when they ask me but lately I've been thinking of more and always ask them even if it means I have to interrupt them.  I don't think I was thinking clearly enough to come up with questions until the shock wore off a little.  Good luck!
  • had a 30 weeker with lots of issues (feeding being one) and it took some getting informed. I read a lot about prematurity. A good start is

https://books.google.com/books?id=pM1l6cQBT7oC&pg=PP9&dq=prematurity+book#v=onepage&q=prematurity%20book&f=false

It is A LOT to take on, even though my husband is a doctor, it was a lot to handle on top of the plain surprise of it all!

Im sure you see an speech therapist and they have told you hoew important oral stimulation is. Ours told use to by gums brushes (for babies or -cheaper) can be found at a pet store!) or an ARK's probe, and simply a pacifier. IT helps them get everythign working.

good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for the suggestions and book recommendation!  Everything I've read so far is for full term babies.  Our pediatrician came by today which helped a ton.  The past 48 hours have been such a whirlwind that I don't think it's all hit yet.  Thank you again!
  • My preemie is almost 2, but I remember all of the craziness like it was yesterday. I was driven by ambulance to a hospital in a larger city, and had never met any of the doctors or even been to that hospital. My DS was born there and it all happened extremely fast. I think with a preemie that you have to trust what they are doing. If you are confident in the quality of the hospital that goes a long way. It is very frustrating when they don't tell you everything at first. Make sure they have all the numbers to reach you at and try to get to know all the NICU nurses. They really worked with us and tried to contact us if we weren't able to be there for some reason. Ask what time the doctors come in each day, and try to be there for that. If we weren't there the doctors called us after they checked on DS to let us know what was happening. Just make sure that they know that you need to know everything.

My DS was born at 34 weeks and was 7lbs, 2oz. He was on a CPAP, and feeding tubes and all of that. He was not released for 12 days because of feeding issues and lung immaturity. He did not want to eat, so I learned to feed him though a nasal tube. After 11 days he ripped the tube out and decided to take EBM from a bottle finally. It seemed like we were there forever, but as soon as he started eating regularly they released us. The heart condition that got us there is now resolved for the time being.

You will get through this and everything will seem so much better once you have your little guy home with you!

• I just wanted to say congrats and welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"