High-Risk Pregnancy

GD Ladies:

How do you ladies keep your fingers from getting too sore from testing? 

TIA

Re: GD Ladies:

• I know that lots of ladies here switch fingers, but I find that that gives me readings that are all over the charts.  I basically just suck it up and stab the same place on the same finger every time. After a few weeks now, it's started to callus up, so it doesn't hurt as bad.
  • Really? Hmm, thats interesting. I will have to try that after dinner. Thanks!
  • Loading the player...
  • i test in my palms (like the meaty part on the side where your pinky is)  even there it hurts and going on testing over a month i still don't have any calluses built up yet (to where it doesn't hurt anyway!)

i just try to alternate palms and not test in the exact same spot if i can avoid it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagesophabelle:

i test in my palms (like the meaty part on the side where your pinky is)  even there it hurts and going on testing over a month i still don't have any calluses built up yet (to where it doesn't hurt anyway!)

i just try to alternate palms and not test in the exact same spot if i can avoid it.

I thought that would be a good idea, but the dietician at my class said this isn't recommended for pregnant women?  I didn't get a chance to ask her why, but the only thing I can think of is maybe you bleed more?  Blood is thinned during pregnancy, apparently?

Was just curious, because my fingers are getting sore and it's only beena  few days LOL

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I alternate fingers and don't poke in the middle of the finger tip but off to the side.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imagekursem:
    imagesophabelle:

i test in my palms (like the meaty part on the side where your pinky is)  even there it hurts and going on testing over a month i still don't have any calluses built up yet (to where it doesn't hurt anyway!)

I thought that would be a good idea, but the dietician at my class said this isn't recommended for pregnant women?  I didn't get a chance to ask her why, but the only thing I can think of is maybe you bleed more?  Blood is thinned during pregnancy, apparently?

Was just curious, because my fingers are getting sore and it's only beena  few days LOL

Blood is NOT thinned in pregnancy, actually it has more of a tendency to clot due to the excess of hormones which is why those of us with clotting disorders take anti-coagulants.

As far as finger pokes, I use just the fingers of my left hand and the alcohol swabs I use have benzocaine in them to help with the pain.  Just make sure the area is dried completely before poking.  You can get them for about 1.50 for a pack of 100 at both Walmart and Walgreens.

• I have my lancet device on the lowest setting possible to still draw blood and I alternate between my left and right hand every other day and use a different finger for each test.  So, fasting is my pinky finger after breakfast is my ring finger etc.  I have been testing for 12 weeks now and my fingers hurt a lot less than they did with my last pregnancy.

I also bought a different lancet device than what came with my meter, and I think that really helps.  I have the Accu-chek multiclix and it works really well.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"