Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

D&C vs. natural

I went to the ob/gyn yesterday and found out the baby's heartbeat stopped. I was suppose to be around 8 weeks 5 days.  The baby measured 7 weeks 4 days. 

At this point I am waiting to pass the baby on my own.  The ob/gyn thought this was better since I was 8 weeks and why have a procedure that can cause infection or scarring if I do not have to.  I agreed and now the waiting is horrible.  She said it could take 1 to 2 weeks.  I have an appointment on August 10.  If nothing is happening I may ask for a D&C.

WDYT??

Re: D&C vs. natural

• It is such a hard decision to make.  My doctor did not give me the option of waiting ( not sure why).  But, like you I was 8w3d and the baby stopped growing at 7w5d.  This happened on 6/23 and the D & C was performed on 6/24.

Whichever it goes, or you decide to go, Good Luck and I am so sorry you have to be here and for your loss!!!  The girls on here are great!

• I am very sorry for your loss.  My doctor also gave me a choice.  I chose to have a D&C for 2 reasons. First, this is my 2nd m/c.  With my first one, the m/c started naturally and I started hemorrhaging and ended up with a D&C anyway.  Second, I don't think I would be able to handle the wait.  Emotionally, it would be too much for me.  There is also no guarantee it will start right away. 

It's a horrible decision to have to make and I'm sorry you're in this positions.  Good luck with whichever you choose.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket

TTCAL buddy to LMichelleG - Praying for a miracle

PgALbuddy to CanonMom & BriAZ - Congrats on your beautiful little girls Labor Buddy to Luvsbunny

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry! Waiting is the worst...

I was give the decision for my 1st loss, I should have been close to 11 weeks, no bleeding or sign of m/c, baby measured 8 weeks. Since my bady didn't let go of the pregnancy in 3 weeks, I opted for the d&c. I also wanted to start the healing process asap.

I wasn't give the decision for my second loss, my doctor wanted the tissue for testing. After having the first I knew what to expect for the second.

I also wanted to add, I don't think I am strong enough to go through the emotions of waiting. I knew over the weekend that my baby wasn't alive, and I was terrified every time I went to the bathroom that I'd see blood. I couldn't handle 2 weeks of that.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Did your doctor mention the prospects of having a medically managed miscarriage?

There are three main routes you can go: 1) D&C, 2) expectant management (waiting for a miscarriage) and 3) Medical management which uses a drug called misoprostol to induce the miscarriage.

The D&C is surgery - many women prefer it because it is over quickly, is relatively painless, and limits the "moment" if you will (and also the waiting).  Some women would prefer to avoid it because they are fearful of anesthesia, worried about scarring or other issues, or simply do not want to incur the cost.

Expectant management can be effective but can take time.  In a few studies I've seen, about 20% of women pass their babies within a week of diagnosis, 52% within 2 weeks, and 80% within a month.  While this can be a good answer, sometimes the waiting is intolerable.

A newer method, called medical management, uses 800 mg of misoprostol to start the miscarriage.  Doctors will often prescribe painkillers in order to aid in pain management during the miscarriage.  The medication induces a miscarriage within 12 to 24 hours.  This is effective the first time in about 85% of women, moving up to 90% if a 2nd round is given when the first round fails.  In a recent study, about 75% of women who used this method would use it again and 83% would recommend it to someone else. 

My first loss was expectant management and my second, at 10w5d, was medically induced.  I would take either one of those experiences again over a D&C.  I suspect my voice might be unusual, but I wanted to let you know there's a third option your doctor didn't give you.

• First off I am very sorry for your loss. I was in a similar situation. At 8w4d no fetal pole or heartbeat was detected and the baby was measuring around 6w. I opted to wait because my Dr. wanted to run my HCG levels to see if we just didn't have the timing off. Unfortunately my levels only went up by small amounts and I went back in a week later for another ultrasound. It showed the same thing, no fetal pole and a approx 6w baby. Unfortunately for me I had some obligations I really needed to tend to that week so I opted to wait to see if my body would pass the baby on its own (I never had signs or sympoms of an m/c). A week later, at what would have been 10w4d I went in for the D&C. I'm so glad I opted to go that route. The waiting was not fun and my body just wasn't showing any signs it was going to m/c on it's own. Either way, it is an extremely personal choice, all we can do is share our stories with you. You need to do what is right for you. Again I'm so sorry you are faced with this decision. My heart breaks for you we all completely understand how painful this is for you. ((HUGS))
  • imagegrr_aargh:

A newer method, called medical management, uses 800 mg of misoprostol to start the miscarriage.  Doctors will often prescribe painkillers in order to aid in pain management during the miscarriage.  The medication induces a miscarriage within 12 to 24 hours.  This is effective the first time in about 85% of women, moving up to 90% if a 2nd round is given when the first round fails.  In a recent study, about 75% of women who used this method would use it again and 83% would recommend it to someone else. 

First, I'm so sorry for your loss.  This is what I had.  The misoprostol was adminstered vaginally.  I don't know how many mg.  I was given valium and percocet as well.  I had the medication adminstered at about 3 pm and within 3-4 hours I had started to have the m/c.  I passed the bulk of the tissue in about 6-7 hours.  and then had heavy bleeding for a day or 2 more followed by about 2 weeks of spotting.  I also didn't want to take the chance of having any scar tissue, etc. if it could be avoided, butI have to warn you, even on the drugs, it was very painful (although, for me, actually going through the process brought a lot of closure to me).  In the end, I don't regret my decision.  GL and (hugs)

• Thank you all for your kind words and sharing your personal experience.  I really want to do this on my own because I do not want to be put under.  However, it has been only 24 hours and I am ready for closure.

I think I am going to wait for my appointment on Aug.10 because my ob/gyn did talk to me about the option of using medicine (and I am on vacation that week). 

• imagepriya&peter:
    I also didn't want to take the chance of having any scar tissue, etc. if it could be avoided, butI have to warn you, even on the drugs, it was very painful (although, for me, actually going through the process brought a lot of closure to me).  In the end, I don't regret my decision.  GL and (hugs)

I agree with this wholeheartedly.  This was the case for me - mine wasn't as painful as you described, but it was painful.  Still, the process helped me cope, in a way.

• imagewvu2000:

Thank you all for your kind words and sharing your personal experience.  I really want to do this on my own because I do not want to be put under.  However, it has been only 24 hours and I am ready for closure.

I think I am going to wait for my appointment on Aug.10 because my ob/gyn did talk to me about the option of using medicine (and I am on vacation that week). 

The previous ladies gave some great responses.  I'll only add that I was not put under for my d&c.  It was done in a hospital and I had a 'cocktail' of valium, percocet, and something else.  I was groggy, but awake.  The nurse was an absolute angel and held my hand and talked to me / distracted me the entire time.  I also listened to my ipod so that between the music and the nurse, i didn't hear anything of the procedure.  The whole thing lasted 10 minutes.  I felt good afterward and DH and I were in the car to head home less than an hour after everything began.  

I waited a week in between learning of the m/c and the d&c and I have to say that that week was pure hell; I still felt pg and was going to the bathroom all the time to check to see if it had started on its own.  It was awful.  I hope and pray that I - and everyone else here - never have to go through it again, but I would do the d&c again if I had to.  

• I found out last Friday (7/24) that the baby had stopped growing.  The doctor I saw gave me the option of waiting it out or scheduling a D&E.  I opted to go for the D&E just because my body was giving me no signs whatsoever of anything being wrong or miscarrying on my own, and the thought of waiting every day for something to happen was making my heart and head hurt.  I also felt I would be traumatized doing it on my own at home.  I had a D&E on Monday and I'm glad I did.  The waiting is over and I can start moving forward with things. 

Everyone makes decisions that are best for them, and I'm sure you will make the right one for you.  I'm sorry you are having to experience this.

TTC #1 since 7/08 After 3 years, 2 losses, 3 rounds of IUI, and one round of IVF, we finally have our dream come true! DS born 7/30/11

TTC #2 off and on since 7/12

• imagewvu2000:

Thank you all for your kind words and sharing your personal experience.  I really want to do this on my own because I do not want to be put under.  However, it has been only 24 hours and I am ready for closure.

I'll cross my fingers for you that the wait isn't unbearable.  I'm glad to hear your doctor gave you some options.

• My doctor is a female practioner who is wonderful. She explained the pros and cons of both situations to me. She then told me that she herself had experienced this situation and her practioner refused to do a d&c. She said she carried for weeks after finding out that  there was no heartbeat and that it was tormenting. She said she had to plead w/her obgyn to do a d&c, and in the end it prevented her from possible infection.

It sort of goes against what your dr. said. Mine told me that a D&C, PREVENTS possible infection in the instance that your body doesn't take care of the miscarriage itself. I also asked her about scarring and she said that miscarrying alone can cause scarring and there's nothing you can do about it

Honestly though, it's a personal choice. For me, waiting 2 weeks to make sure that there was no change in my blighted ovum was torture enough. I couldn't imagine carrying for any longer than that. I was to the point that I wanted closure. I had a d&c at 10w5d after finding out at 8 wks that we had a blighted ovum. I had no complications.

Hope this helps. I'm sorry you're having to make such an emotional decision. I know it isn't easy.

• I'm so sorry for your loss.  My doctor recommended D&C for several reasons.  First, he said that often the body doesn't naturally miscarry as planned, resulting in an emergency D&C anyway.  Second, the risk of infection is greater.  Finally, the body heals much more quickly, whcih would enable us to TTC again sooner.  I also just wanted to get it all over with and begin healing---both emotionally and physically. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • One thing I forgot to add: growth stopped at 6 wks for me, so my doctor was able to use the suction procedure. I don't believe scraping was necessary, thus eliminating the risk of scarring. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • i was given all the options, but chose to wait it out.  i would not change my decision.  i was 10 weeks when the m/c was discovered, but the baby had stopped growing around 8 1/2 weeks.  i finally m/c around 12 1/2 weeks.  my dr had no concerns about infection.  the actually cramping lasted about 12 hours, but my dr had given me prescriptions for motrin and vicodin.  just so you know, it wasn't just a sudden, scary gush out of the blue.  i spotted on thursday, started bleeding on friday and the miscarriage began on saturday evening.
    Married DH December 20, 2008
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"