Working Moms

In-home daycare - is this normal?

I am very frustrated! This is my first week back at work and I am already taking a day off Sad. I found a lady that does in-home daycare near my house and I heard good things about her through references of children she watches so we decided to go with her. Anyway, I picked up DD yesterday and when I went to the door she was sitting in her carseat wide awake 1 ft in front of the tv watching cartoons alone! (she is 8 weeks old btw!) I rang the doorbell and it took nearly a minute for her to come to the door. She acted like nothing was out of the ordinary and came up carrying a load of laundry! Seriously?? I thought providers are supposed to interact with the children and not stick them in front of a tv. I am so pissed. I refuse to go back there. AND, none of the other kids were around...which makes me wonder where they were?? Please tell me this is not normal.

Re: In-home daycare - is this normal?

• Of course that's not normal. I hope you're able to quickly find a better place for your child.
  • Based on my experience, no, this is not normal. When DS was still in his infant car seat, some days I picked him up he was already in it, especially if I got there pretty much right at the time the kids are supposed to be picked up at. But if he was in it, daycare provider was talking with him or the other kids were playing with him. TV is a big thing for me and I've told daycare I do not want him watching any in his first year, so I would be very upset if I saw this. And 1 foot in front of the tv! Also, I just walk into our provider's house when I get there. I don't need to ring the doorbell or wait for her.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it's normal to sit an 8 week old baby 1 foot in front of a tv.  An 8 month old baby I can forgive -- but 8 weeks?    I would be looking for alternative care. 

• We had one like that who would lay DS on a blanket in front of the tv.  We also never saw any other kids around unless they were being dropped off/picked up at the same time.  DS also supposedly took abnormally long naps there.  He is now in a different daycare, a center, where he smiles everyday when he is dropped off, and happy when picked up in the afternoon.  He naps what is a normal nap for him there also and doesn't come home with the after cry "shivers" he would come home with before.  I suggest looking for a new place.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not normal. Also, I have never had to ring the doorbell.
  • The TV thing - not normal.  I would defintely be concerned about that.

Having to ring the door bell - there was an issue with that at the in-home my boys used to go to.  The door was always left unlocked at drop off and pick up times then a parent complained.  His concern was that anyone could walk in at any time and with children in the house that was dangerous.  I couldn't argue with that. So then they started locking the door at all times and installed a separate door bell for the day care (it was in the basement). While I like knowing I could walk right in knowing that a total stranger could too was unsettling.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• imageluvmagoldn:

The TV thing - not normal.  I would defintely be concerned about that.

Having to ring the door bell - there was an issue with that at the in-home my boys used to go to.  The door was always left unlocked at drop off and pick up times then a parent complained.  His concern was that anyone could walk in at any time and with children in the house that was dangerous.  I couldn't argue with that. So then they started locking the door at all times and installed a separate door bell for the day care (it was in the basement). While I like knowing I could walk right in knowing that a total stranger could too was unsettling.

Our in-home provider is licensed and said the state requires that she leave the door unlocked during the day.  Maybe it varies by state?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageMrs.JLC:
    Not normal. Also, I have never had to ring the doorbell.

so, what you just walk in?

i find that to be a tad bit unsafe.

op- no thats not normal. i would be looking for another daycare.

imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Our DC was licensed too...I never saw the door locking thing on any inspection report.

My twins are 5! My baby is 3!

DS#2 - Allergic to Cashew, Pistachio, Kiwi

DS#3 - Allergic to Milk, Egg, Peanut, Tree Nuts and Sesame

• No, that is not normal.  I would find another place.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"