Pregnant after a Loss
Options

what classes are you taking?

I was all for not taking a childbirth class...I just felt like when it came down to it I wouldn't be sitting in L&D thinking "What did I learn in class about this?" I'm not a reflective person like that, I just go with the flow. Plus, women have been giving birth for thousands and thousands of years without taking classes! Now I'm rethinking...are they really that beneficial? The class at my hospital is $125 and I really don't have that to waste right now if it's not all it's cracked up to be. I am definitely taking a Newborn Care class as well as an L&D tour. So..did you take anything or are you? What are your thoughts?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: what classes are you taking?

• Options
    we did the tour which was awesome and CB classes start in 2 weeks....who knows if I'll remember anything in the classes but it will be a fun experience...we're taking it with some friends.
  • Options

Hey Cora!  I debated this too, but ours was fairly inexpensive going through the hospital.  It is four weeks every Tuesday....so we are doing that (I figured it can't hurt) and we are taking a baby connection class (I guess similar to the baby care you described....talks about bathing, temp taking, diaper, all the new baby stuff)...and I am taking a breast feeding class too..not sure if DH will go with me to that one or not...It was money I would love to put toward other baby things...BUT I thought it might be useful bc I am scared s***less about the whole L&D experience:) hehe

Hope you are feeling ok!!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hey Cora.  We've taken a few classes and I've had mixed feelings on them.  I know you're also in Maryland - where are you delivering?  Our classes and delivery are at Howard County General (thought I'd share on the off chance you were as well).  Anyways, we took a 2 night Infant Care class that we both thought was a huge waste.  Neither my husband or I have much experience around newborns so we thought we'd learn alot.  Somehow diapering and swaddling a doll doesn't seem like it will translate well to an actual baby.  I've been told by so many people that the nurses are so great and will show you how to do everything.  Then we took a CPR class that included infant and child CPR.  It was definitely something worth knowing (although I can't say I remember the steps now a few weeks later...)  We're also taking a Prepared Childbirth class -- it's 5 weeks, each Monday.  I'm definitely learning alot and I do like this class but I'm with you...how much of it will I remember when I'm in the moment.  My husband disputes this saying that he will remember and as my coach he'll be able to help me.  In alot of ways it's reassuring and in other ways the class is terrifying me LOL.  We'll also be taking the hospital tour which I'm told is awesome, and a breastfeeding class.  Hope that helps
    DD is on her way to 2! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    We are going to take the weekend intensive class that includes a hospital tour for 110 (it covers labor, delivery, newborn basics, etc) as well as a pets and babies class (we have 2 cats and a dog). All together we spent 135 on classes but found out my insurance will reimburse us for 90 of it. I'd call your insurance and see if you have any benefit like that, I had to ask but they sent me a form to send back in and then they'll mail me a check.
  • Options
    We are doing the 6 week childbirth classes and I am also taking a breastfeeding class...My DH really felt alot more comfortable doing the classes so we decided to do it. I have heard from friends that delivered at my hospital that it is worth the $125...but I was shocked at the price too!
  • Options
    ENevENev member

We took a one-day labor and childbirth class (6 1/2 hours, $75) at our hospital which included a tour and we found it very beneficial.

We're also taking a one-night (2 hours) breastfeeding class later this month.

• Options
    We plan to eventually take a weekend class that includes childbirth, infant care and CPR, and a tour.  I just looked up the cost and it's $150 Indifferent.  But we'll do it anyway because I think it will be worth it for my DH especially.
  • Options
    Thanks girls. I just figured out that if we took the childbirth class, infant CPR, newborn care, child safety inspection (yes my hospital charges for it and they require you do it before your due date if possible) and the tour (which is free) it would be about $300! Holy cow. I'm just not convinced it's worth it. I think we've decided to go with infant CPR, newborn care, and the tour. 
  • Options
    ibisibis member

I am definitely taking a childbirth class, because I want to have a natural birth and I know I'll have a much better chance if I'm prepared and know what to expect. It's true that women have been giving birth for eons without classes, but then again they really didn't have a choice but to give birth naturally, KWIM? Classes can teach you & your H how to manage the pain and stay relatively calm.

I was on the fence about BFing classes until I heard a lactation expert say that taking a class will greatly boost your chances of success, especially if you have any BFing challenges. The class is free anyway so I'm definitely going to take that too. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"