South Florida Babies

Pretty cool whether your are CubanAmerican or not...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pretty cool whether your are CubanAmerican or not...

• that looks cool! my father is cuban amaerican as is my fil and a few years ago he wrote a screen play with his brothers with the words exiled in the title and it was about thier journey from cuba to the U.S.so this video reminded me a lot about how interesting EVERY cuban american's migration story must be!

i loved the music in the video! if you love cuban music, you should check out the buena vista social club.  its the name of a band made up of older cuban citizens who travel and make records and are recognized world wide as being some of the most talented musicians the world has ever seen coem out of the island, but they live in the slums, like everyone else, with nothing to show for their talent and hard work... devastating, but the music is AMAZING!

thanks for sharing Melly <3

• Thanks for making me cry...jk ;) That was beautiful. I love how glamorous they all looked in the first few clips as they got off and on the airplanes...all the men in their suits and all the women in their dresses and pearls.

I wish all those a-holes who go around wearing Che Guevara t-shirts because it's trendy would take a few minutes to learn about the prosperity, wealth, glamour, and all around advanced standard of living that was common in pre-Castro Cuba and compare it to the piece of crap that the country has become now. It baffles me that there are people who can see that and think that a Communist revolution is a good thing.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • imageSouthMiamiWifeJen:

Thanks for making me cry...jk ;) That was beautiful. I love how glamorous they all looked in the first few clips as they got off and on the airplanes...all the men in their suits and all the women in their dresses and pearls.

I wish all those a-holes who go around wearing Che Guevara t-shirts because it's trendy would take a few minutes to learn about the prosperity, wealth, glamour, and all around advanced standard of living that was common in pre-Castro Cuba and compare it to the piece of crap that the country has become now. It baffles me that there are people who can see that and think that a Communist revolution is a good thing.

i don't think half the people who wear the Che guevara shirts think that it was a good thing.  They just think it's "cool." 

I studied Cuban American culture and society for a few years (i wanted to do my minor in latina american studies) and I developed such an amazing appreciation for the culture and traditions my family brought with them- and an even greater yearning for the ones they left behind.  My family was one of the first waves of Cubans to come to the states and... well, don't even get me started on the difference between the waves in the 60s and the waves now.    I can speak for days on the subject lol

I'm sure most of us who come from Cuban families (or those who were born in Cuba) have some amazing stories about how they became exiles. ( I say exile and not immigrants because they didn't immigrate, they were exiled from their country.)

Anyway, thanks for that, Mel!  It's something that's near and dear to my heart!!

• This is nice. It's very interesting and I think it touches anyone who is either an immigrant or the child of immigrants, especially exiled immigrants. There's this dichotomy of nationality that is always put in question here: are you American or are you X. And in a way, this shows that you can be both. I'm Colombian, and many Colombians have also come here in a certain exile, because their lives were in danger from the guerrilla or for political reasons or whatever. Others came because it was the best opportunities for themselves or their family, and yet others, like my dad, came because that's where his "job" sent him. Most of the Latin community holds on strongly to its roots, and it's proud of its culture (whether it's Cuban or Colombian, or Mexican or Nicaraguan) and it's awesome to see because it's part of you.

Britishbride - very cool - I actually concentrated on post-colonial latin and african-american lit in my MA studies. It's always very interesting to study other cultures (as in, other than American) because it helps put this whole world in perspective. And it's especially cool when it's a culture that's a part of you but in which you don't necessarily live. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"