Indiana Babies
Options

stupid ? for the mamas

A's been getting oatmeal for about 3 weeks and we start fruit tomorrow.  Should I start out by mixing the fruit with the oatmeal? how much? Just a dab? or should I give it to him straight up to see if he likes it?  does it matter if he eats more fruit or more oatmeal? Or should I just let him eat whichever he likes better?  or is it better to do just fruit in the AM feeding and just oatmeal in the PM feeding?

does any of this make any difference? The only "rule" I know is that you need to wait at least a few days before introducing new fruits to check for allergies, and I have the list of fruits to start at this age.  Beyond that, I'm a bit lost.

Also, when should we test out rice cereal & barely?

thanks. I'm clueless.

Re: stupid ? for the mamas

• Options
    I always went full  fledge flavor, only mixing if she didn't seem to like it.  We did cereal along with fruits and veggies until about 7 mos, started @ 4 mos, then using it more as a thickening agent until she was over eating purees.
  • Options

Evan has kind of banned oatmeal from his diet...LOL.  He used to love it!

When he was 6 months old, I'd feed the oatmeal with about 1-2 oz of fruit mixed with it (usually bananas, pears, or applesauce)...twice per day.  The other "meal" would be a veggie one sometimes mixed with a fruit (to hide the veggie flavor).

We started with rice cereal at around 4 1/2 monts...but then switched to oatmeal (we used the Happy Bellies one...organic with DHA, etc).

When introducing baby food, we started with orange veggies...carrots, sweet potatoes, squash...about every 3 days for each.  Then we introduced applesauce, pears, bananas.  I haven't introduced oranges or pineapples yet...I think they have a higher allergy occurrence.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    TTC #2 since 9/09 --- mild PCOS; Endometriosis
    IUI x4 = BFN
    IVF = sometime in 2012
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Straight fruit to start for us.  But DD seems to like the variety of a little fruit and oatmeal mix sometimes too. So I just have the oatmeal and a small amount of fruit and get a little of both on the spoon, or one or the other alone.  When she's old enough we'll try an oatmeal, fruit, yogurt "baby parfait".

We didn't mix much with DS and now he's SUCH a typical 3 year old: If the foods touch he won't eat it. (not sure if this is why though)

• Options
    We actually started with veggies instead of fruit, b/c I've heard that some babies will reject veggies if they've had fruit first, because they like the sweetness.  At any rate, green beans were Ben's first non-veggie food, and he got them straight up and loved them!  Each time we added a new food, we just gave it straight up to really let him experience the new flavor.  We did the veggies in this order, if I remember correctly: green beans, carrots, peas, squash, sweet potatoes (I think that's all of the stage 1 veggies from Gerber).  I know we left sweet potatoes for the end, as they are the sweetest.  Now that he's had everything, I usually mix the oats and fruit for his breakfast, but still sometimes give him fruit straight up.  I mix it mostly b/c it's easier, and b/c the oatmeal is kind of blah by itself.
  • Options

I would mix in a small container of fruit with his oatmeal.  It's all kind of fuzzy now....I don't think we ever did the barley cereal.  He wasn't a big fan of the rice, so we stuck with oatmeal most of the time.

Sara :)

Proud Mommy to Elliott 7.24.07 & Oliver 9.1.09 Our Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"