Two Under 2
Options

Transition to mattress on floor?

Hey ladies, I see many of you transitioned DC before DC#2 arrived.  We will have both sharing a room and right now we have a twin mattress on the floor with a rail in the bedroom and DS is still in the crib.  How did you transition DC to the mattress or bed?  He likes laying in it but won't stay in it.  How did you do it, lay with them, sit in the room, let them cry, etc...  Any suggestions welcomed!  We are not in a hurry to get him transitioned (DD will stay in our room the first few months) but want to start transitioning.  He loves playing on the bed and will lay down in it at first but the second I leave the room, he gets up and screams at the door.  Thanks ladies!
Our kids are 19mths apart and we LOVE it!!

Married to my BFF on 8.13.05 (after dating 5 years)!

DS born 2.14.08. DD born 9.30.09.

Re: Transition to mattress on floor?

• Options
    I have to lay in there with DS until he is almost/all the way asleep.  When he is tired, he is pretty good about just laying there and falling asleep, but randomly turns his head to check that i'm still there (I am on the floor next to the mattress, not actually on it).  The times that he keeps getting up instead of laying there, I get up and leave for about a minute.  During this time he screams and bangs at the door. When I go back in, he goes straight into bed to try to fall asleep.
  • Options
    Thanks for that advice.  I will try that with him.  When we tell him to get in bed he does but just won't stay there.  I haven't pushed it yet but we need to start pushing it soon and I have no idea  where to start.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I just put her in bed, tell her goodnight, and close the bedroom door. If I started out laying with her, she'd expect that and need it to fall asleep so I didn't even want to get it started. The first couple of nights she'd get out of bed and dink around (we have a video monitor to see) but after she was done dinking, she'd ultimately get back in bed and go to sleep. After those couple of nights I guess getting out of bed lost its luster because now she just stays in there and goes to sleep.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We started with naps for 2 weeks then she wanted to go to bed there one night and I told her that she was not allowed to get out unless we get her. She has a ton of books and animals in bed so she plays until we get her.

She was 21 months when we did this and we went straight to the twin bed, no messing around.

We read, say goodnight, shut the door. If we had to lay there she would expect it and need it so we did not start it.

FWIW I do not understand the mattress on the floor thing...

• Options
    We did the mattress on the floor because we cannot afford to buy a bedroom set or a box spring at this time.  This was the best solution we have for the situation we have been given.  We also want to get him a whole new bedroom suite when we move into a house in the next year or so.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"